What's all this, then?
Exit Fate is a role-playing game written and developed by Dutch artist/programmer and goon SCF, whose site can be found here. I'm TheOneAndOnlyT and I'm here to take you through the ins and outs of this great game.
What's so special about this game, anyway?
Exit Fate's main claim to fame (much like its predecessor, Last Scenario) is that it is a fully-fledged, 25+ hour RPG whose art, script, and code were drawn, written, and developed entirely by one person. The only things SCF cannot take credit for are the base game engine, which is provided by RPGMaker, and the music, which is a mishmash of tunes from great SNES/PSX-era RPGs, such as Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, and Xenogears. While not perfect by any means, the sheer size and scope of the game, coupled with the fact that it is actually enjoyable to play, is a monumental achievement.
So how does it play?
Exit Fate is best described as a giant love letter to Suikoden II. The game mainly consists of the usual RPG fare--exploring dungeons, killing monsters, visiting towns, recruiting new characters--interspersed with more strategic "war battles," where the player takes control of a large-scale army. The player also eventually gains access to a castle where the characters live and occasionally offer services. Much like in Suikoden, there are a huge number of characters to recruit (75) and each one offers different benefits to small parties and army units alike.
How are you going to be presenting this game?
This is going to be an informational-style LP. The plot of Exit Fate is decently well-written and there isn't much silliness or mechanics bullshit to make fun of, so I'm mainly going to be letting the game stand on its own merits.
Will you be 100%ing this game?
I will do my best. I will certainly be recruiting all 75 characters and completing the game, but some of the post-game content is really fucking hard, so no promises.
This game seems pretty cool. Where can I get it?
Good question! If you'd like to check out the game yourself, you can download it from SCF's site here.
Before we begin, I would just like to ask folks who have played this game before to refrain from spoilery discussion. Exit Fate's plot is one of its stronger points, and I'd hate for it to be ruined for people new to the game.
Anyway, without further ado, let's get started!
Table of Contents
- Update 1: The Beginning
- Update 2: Let's (learn how to) Play Exit Fate!
- Update 3: It's War!
- Update 4: Not Exactly The Expected Outcome
- Update 5: Wherein we learn that 60 Arn is a fortune
- Update 6: Press N To Switch Teams
- Update 7: It's Not What You Know, It's Who You Know
- Update 8: Sweet-Talking Kirgard Dog
- Update 9: Fuck Allied Units
- Update 10: Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum
- Update 11: Some Plot, And A Plot
- Update 12: Things Get Weirder
- Update 13: Open House
- Update 14: Highland Hijinks
- Update 15: A Tight Squeeze
- Update 16: Master Of Misinformation
- Update 17: Information Warfare
- Update 18: Hit 'Em Where They Least Expect It
- Update 19: Keyser's Last Stand
- Update 20: Picking Up The Stragglers
- Update 21: Know Thyself
- Update 22: Oischin Oddities
- Update 23: Elementary, My Dear
- Update 24: An Offer You Can't Refuse
- Update 25: The Best Of A Bad Situation
- Update 26: The Things I've Seen
- Update 27: Between Friends
- Update 28: The Best Defense...
- Update 29: The Path Forward
- Update 30: All Over The Map
- Update 31: Too Good To Be True
- Update 32: Daniel Vinyard And The Holy Grail
- Update 33: Deja Vu
- Update 34: All For One
- Update 35: The Power Within
- Update 36: Back To Square One
- Update 37: Closing In On The Capital
- Update 38: From The Ashes
- Update 39: Can't Catch A Break
- Update 40: Explosions Solve Everything
- Update 41: Recruiting Spree
- Update 42: Sun, Moon and Star
- Update 43: Ash-las Shrugged
- Update 44: Comic Relief No More
- Update 45: Smug To The Bitter End (Part 1)
- Update 46: Smug To The Bitter End (Part 2)
- Update 47: Drawn Back In
- Update 48: Army Of Two
- Update 49: Mistakes Of The Past
- Update 50: The Final Five
- Update 51: Going Out On Top
- Update 52: Spirited Away
- Update 53: And History Repeats
- Update 54: I Am A Shadow, The True Self (Part 1)
- Update 55: I Am A Shadow, The True Self (Part 2)
- Update 56: The Last Vestiges
- Update 57: Exit Fate
- Epilogue: The Wanderer
- Appendix: Character Interviews
Art from SCF
Ryan and Ljusalf
Meiko and Royston
Bast and Keyser
Myst, Midian and Yan Angwa
Squarely Circle reminds us who the most important character in Exit Fate is:
Squarely Circle also draws some tiny noodle people for the thread:
Daigerus asks... what would happen if Derek were a boxing champion?
... what if Royston made the ultimate elderly dessert, the "teacake"?
... what if the two of them were chibi-fied?
And Squarely Circle gives us a fabulous rendition of Trevor and Sick: