Let's Play Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams
Martian Dreams is the second in the Worlds of Ultima series, a spinoff of the legendary Ultima computer game series. In the years between Ultima VI: The False Prophet and Ultima VII Part 1: The Black Gate, Origin Systems put out a variety of games which were about the Avatar's adventures, but weren't traditional Ultima Games. Ultima Underworld, for example, was a first-person adventure.
The Worlds of Ultima games (Savage Empire and this) were more traditional in gameplay, ultimately similar to Ultima VI (considering they use U6's engine, this isn't surprising). However, they were thematically different. Savage Empire pitted the Avatar against rampaging dinosaurs in a Lost World prehistoric jungle. Martian Dreams, by contrast, is very pulp/steampunk. The trip to a Mars very unlike the one we know today is sprinkled with turn-of-the-century adventurousness, weird science (there will be ray guns), and lots of historical figures.
Also Warren Spector made it and is in it. I think partying with Warren Spector is about all you need to know about this game.
Table of Contents
- Cast of Characters
- Olde Tyme Capsule Fun
- The Last Update to Include a Capsule, Until the End of Our Venture, God Willing
- The Avatar Doesn't Know Who Any of These People Are
- Fat People & Robots
- I Hear A Bunch of Useless Scrubs to the West!
- Warren Spector Saves Mars
- My Favorite Martian
- The Machine Spirits Are Appeased
- The Biggest Goober of All
- Sissy Earth-Man Dreams
- The Avatar Conquers the Martians
- A Light Dinner & A Dead Martian
Ninth PlanetLargest Member of the Kuiper Belt
- Thanks, Global Warming!
- Hot Steampunk Robot Women
- It's Fisticuffs Then, Iolo!
- The Least Interesting Mystery on Mars
- If At First You Don't Succeed, Build A Better Cannon
- I Didn't Make Up This Ending