What is Advance Wars?
Advance Wars is a turn based strategy series created by Intelligent Systems, who are known for their other turn based strategy series Fire Emblem. Before Advance Wars came out, the series began in Japan on the Famicom, and the whole group of games is known as the Nintendo Wars. The Advance Wars portion was the first to be released outside of Japan, and (not too surprisingly) was based on the Game Boy Advance.
This game takes a massive departure on the rest of the series, focusing more on the grittier, more disturbing aspect of war, over the rest of Advance Wars' cheesy, "war is fun" attitude.
Why Advance Wars: Days of Ruin?
I really enjoy this game. While it loses some of the cheesy charm of it's predecessors, it retains a lot of the gameplay. There is still a large focus on money management, and a huge portion is still dedicated to the rock-paper-scissors feel of the various units facing each other. There are some changes, mainly in how Commanding Officers work, and while it seems weird at first, it helps balance the game out a little more for the most part.
What can we expect from this LP?
I'll be going through the main story of the Campaign, showing off the good and the bad of the game. Should I choose to, I may also show off a number of the extra maps that get unlocked as I progress through the game. I'll also be trying to play the maps as efficiently as possible, getting as many S rank scores as I can.
What rules for posting are there?
For the most part, go wild. This game is very different from the previous Advance Wars. It didn't do as well, for various reasons. If you don't like it, great, let us know why as the game develops.
The only major rule I'm throwing out right now is DON'T SPOIL THE STORYLINE. Because this game isn't as known as the previous Advance Wars, some may not know what the hell is going on. Don't be spoiling the last mission, enemy CO's, whatever when we're starting out. New units, terrain are fine, who cares if there's a newer, better tank. Don't reveal plot heavy crap. If we're a mission or two away from something, and you REALLY can't wait until I get to that point, throw it in spoiler tags. It's what they're there for.
And hey, since we're currently in an IntSys games lovefest here in the LP subforum, have some links to other great LP's that are ongoing/ on hiatus:
What's an Airport, Again? Let's play Advance Wars by Paul.Power
Wearing All White Suits After Labor Day: Let's Play Advance Wars: Dual Strike by Alkydere
Escaping From Japan's Grasp at Last, Let's Play Fire Emblem by Artix74
Let's Plumb The Depths of the RNG's Spite in Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals also by Artix74
Extreme Off-Screen Competence: Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones by Katreus
Greil Mercenaries... MOVE OUT! [Fire Emblem Path of Radiance] by Fedule
So without further ado, let's get into the game.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Starting out
- Chapter 2: Where There's Life...
- Chapter 3: The Numbers Game
- Chapter 4: Blackout
- Chapter 5: Oh Ho Ho!
- Chapter 6: Overpowered? Nah.
- Bonus Update 1: Tactics Room Foray Number One
- Chapter 7: On Wings of Glory (Except Dusters)
- Chapter 8: Old "Friends"
- Chapter 9: Paradise Found?
- Chapter 10: This is a Sneaking Mission, Beast
- Chapter 11: Botes.
- Chapter 12: Good Chowder, Man!
- Bonus Update 2: Tactics Rooms 7-12
- Chapter 13: GodDAMMIT Greyfield!
- Chapter 14: The Siege of Lazuria
- Chapter 15: Icy Escapades
- Chapter 16: Catharsis
- Chapter 17: Bullets + multiple targets = Science
- Chapter 18: The Creeper: Redux
- Bonus Update 3: Tactics Rooms 13-18
- Chapter 19: PRAISE BE THE WORM!
- Chapter 20: Clipping a Bird's Wings
- Chapter 21: Vengeance
- Chapter 22: Making things go Boom
- Chapter 23: Bombing Run
- Chapter 24: The Mile High Club
- Chapter 25: FINALLY.
- Bonus Update 4: Chapter 6 Redux: War (Tank), Huh, What is it Good For? (Absolutely nothing!)
- Bonus Update 5: Tactics Rooms 19-25
- Chapter 26: Endgame
- Trial Map 1: Coast Assault (T17)
- Trial Map 2: It's a Kitty! (Feline Basin, T3)
- Trial Map 3: Isosceles Inlet (Triangle Lake, T29)
FanartI have fanart, all of a sudden, stemming from Will being what Jake (from AW:DS) should have been:
I Said No
There are also ideas on what Greyfield and The Mayor would do if they actually met: