Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn mixes RPG elements, as well as real time tactics and strategy to create a fairly unique style of game, all with a story interwoven between battles to tie things together. Released in the US in 1996, it was developed by J-Force and Sega, and translated by Working Designs. The power of an ancient demon is on the rise, and a powerful nation has declared open war on all other kingdoms. The world is divided, and it's up to us as one of six kingdoms to unite Legendra, as well as track down the eight members of the legendary Dragon Force to quell the rising tide of evil. To do that we'll have to deploy a varied array of officers commanding one of many troop types and conquer the land castle by castle. On top of that each nation has its own story events and starting conditions to navigate in order to survive in this war torn land.
About the Playthrough
This playthrough will be done with my physical copy of the game on a real Sega Saturn. I'll be upscaling the image 5x which will cut off a little bit at the top and bottom edges, but we won't be missing anything important.
I've fully played through the game 3 times, I think. I've at least dabbled for a few battles with every kingdom over the years. However, that was a long, long time ago, so replaying the game as any kingdom should be interesting. To that end, I'm going to let you guys decide which kingdom we play as.
Voting ended Wednesday Oct 3, 2018 at 11PM US Eastern Time. Results:
Voting Episode (Voting has closed...link kept for posterity)
- Episode 0 - Exordium
- Episode 1 - Gallant Man of the Forest
- Episode 2 - Repelling Izumo
- Episode 3 - Retaliation
- Episode 4 - Hunting for Hayate
- Episode 5 - It's Treason, Then
- Episode 6 - Bada Booms and Bamboozles
- Episode 7 - Next Moves
- Episode 8 - To Tradnor
- Episode 9 - Boxed In
- Episode 10 - Gongos Vs. The Bad Magic Boy
- Episode 11 - Bozack Sandwich
- Episode 12 - A Mysterious Encounter
- Episode 13 - Holding Position
- Episode 14 - New Strongholds
- Episode 15 - Topaz Attacks!
- Episode 16 - An Error in Judgement
- Episode 17 - Moving Troops
- Episode 18 - Closing In
- Episode 19 - Tackling Topaz
- Episode 20 - The Shadow Tower
- Episode 21 - Palemoon Offensive
- Episode 22 - Taking On Tristan
- Episode 23 - The Fiend Tower
- Episode 24 - The Cold North
- Episode 25 - Highland Skirmish
- Episode 26 - Pushing Farther South
- Episode 27 - All About Dragonmen
- Episode 28 - Surprise Attack
- Episode 29 - Preparing a Counterattack
- Episode 30 - New Friends and Old Enemies
- Episode 31 - Tristan Take Two
- Episode 32 - Smitten
- Episode 33 - A Chance for Peace
- Episode 34 - Final Maneuvers
- Episode 35 - Fandarian Showdown
- Episode 36 - Gongos to the Rescue
- Episode 37 - From the Shadows
- Episode 38 - Gongos to the Rescue...Again!
- Episode 39 - Fightin' Lightan
- Episode 40 - The Hero We Needed
- Episode 41 - Secret of the Forest Shrine
- Episode 42 - It Came From Outer Space
- Episode 43 - The Final Shrine
- Episode 44 - Gongos Does What Katmandon't
- Episode 45 - Dragons Attack!
- Episode 46 - The Final Battle Begins
- Episode 47 - Destruction's End
- Debug Mode
I really like the sprite aesthetic in this game.