Part 1: Post 01: Appearance of the Descendant
Post 01: Appearance of the Descendant
Starting right off, we're greeted to a title screen with a dragon jammed through it. Upon further inspection, a menu prompting you to create a new game will come up. Moving on!
First off, we must name ourselves. Only four spaces? Darn Gameboy Colour limitations.
- Eight spaces are allowed for your name.
Well, with a little luck of creative nicknames, our hero, Andy, is named! But wait, there's something more!
Certain names affect your stats, both in initial values and growth. The formula (atleast, for the NES version) is viewable here.
Text speed actually only applies to how fast attack messages and damage prompts appear in battle. Setting this to one makes it almost unreadable, and setting it to eight causes you to have to scroll through it at your own pace.
The draconic behemoth slowly tears away at the castle.
It soon rises, a magnificent orb in it's hand.
As a woman looks on, nightmares close in.
And then, silence befalls the castle, their siege done.
- No cutscene at the start of the game.
: In the distant past, the gods gave Loto the Light Orb. With it, he drove away monsters that lay siege to the land. But DracoLord, evil incarnate, emerged from nowhere and sealed the sacred orb in darkness. Without it, darkness will swallow the world, and extinction will soon befall us. Brave Andy! We implore you to defeat DracoLord and recover the Light Orb. Take what you find in the chests, they should help your quest. Speak to those in my chamber, and they will give you worldly advice. Let us meet again brave Andy!
: Loto? Light Orb? DracoLord? Oh geez.
- Dialogue uses Modern English, instead of Elizabethan English (such as "thou", "thee", "thy", etc.)
- While not referred to, the king's name is Lars in the GBC version, and Lorik in the NES version.
- Loto is named Erdrick.
- The Light Orb is named the Ball of Light.
- The DracoLord is named the DragonLord.
- The most noticeable difference is the lack of an interaction menu. Before, a menu prompting you with Talk, Status, Stairs, Search, Spell, Item, Door, and Take, was used with every single thing. To talk to someone, the menu had to be opened, and Talk had to be selected. To go up or down a staircase, Stairs had to be selected from the menu, and etcetera. In this, however, merely facing something and interacting with it is enough. A menu still exists, but it only shows you Item, Cast, Info, and Equipment.
contains 120 gold!
contains a Torch!
contains a Key!
With our newly found treasure, we're already rich, we have no reason to fear the dark, and we can unlock something!
: Lady who-what now?
*: Lady Lora is the King's only child.
After the Queen's passing, she has been the King's source of support. It has been half a year since she was abducted by foul monsters. Though the King makes no mention of it, I can't begin to imagine the torment he must be feeling. Andy! I beg you to rescue Lady Lora!
: Well of course. No adventure is complete without saving a princess! What could go wrong?
- Lady Lora is named Princess Gwaelin.
: Wait, I was locked in here? What the heck?
After having escaped the king's locked chambers, our adventure really begins!
Now that we're really out on our own, many things are possible. There are many people to talk to, as well as the mainstay of all Dragon Warrior games; looting. Yes, looting. We get to rob people of their belongings, and no one will care! It comes with being the hero or something.
Speaking of talking to people.
*: a Journal, you can resume your quest from where you last recorded.
*: should get the King to record your progress in a Journal.
: So wait, wasn't she kidnapped like half a year ago? Have you really been here the whole time doing... this?
*: was wiped out by monsters!
: I haven't even left the castle yet and you tell me this. Thanks for that.
*: its wings, a descendant of Loto shall become the light that pierces the darkness. May the gods bring light to Andy, the legendary warrior!
Anyways, now that we're informed on all the important issues about having to save the world from this awful mess, let's further propagate the ability to do so by stealing new items!
contains a Herb!
- Lootable items such as vases and dressers are new to the GBC version.
Welcome to the continent of Alefgard, where dragon warriors walk.