Part 76: Pre-Update 61: Storm Emperor pre-fight overviewPre-Update 61: Storm Emperor pre-fight overview
HP: 32000, STR: 77, TEC: 59, VIT: 58, AGI: 52, LUC: 53
- Volt Torrent: Uses the head. Deals 600% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 180 base accuracy.
- Ancient Curse: Uses the head. Deals 100% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Heals the Storm Emperor for 200% of the damage dealt. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
- Judgement: Uses the legs. Deals 110% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
- Corrupting Howl: Uses the head. Purges all buffs from the party. Attempts to inflict curse and fear on each party member, with a 50% base chance. Has a 150% speed modifier.
- Binding Dance: Uses the legs. Attempts to bind each party member's head, arms, and legs, with a 70% base chance. Has a 200% speed modifier.
- Normal: Emperor Barbel. 100% chance. Sells for 17000 en. 1 needed to make Volt Whip (+204 ATK, +5 AGI, normal attacks become Cut+Volt).
"Majestic barbel at the thunder dragon's mouth. Some believe the barbel controls thunder."
- Rare: Emperor Scale. 25% chance. Sells for 20000 en. 1 needed to make Emperor Orb (Immunity to Volt). 1 Dragon Scale, 1 Blizzard Scale, and 1 Emperor Scale needed to make Dragonbane (+210 ATK, +5 all stats).
"The only reverse scale on the thunder dragon. It takes great fortune to acquire this."
- Conditional: Thunderous Eye (Kill with Volt damage). 100% chance. Sells for 39000 en. 1 needed to make Ouroboros Robe (Alchemist ultimate armor; +72 DEF, +40 TP, +3 TEC).
"Thunder dragon's eye, cloaked in lightning. Some say it holds the key to ultimate power."
- Ingredient: Thunder Chirp. 15-19 given. 7 needed to make Court Haute Cuisine (Japanese Cuisine; 10% chance to restore broken Force gauges after battle).
"Tender meat from the throat."
100% 100% 100% 150% 100% 0%
25% 50% 25% 25% 50% 0% 0%
0% 0% 10%
25% 25% 25%
A legendary yellow dragon who wields electricity masterfully.
Storm Emperor might've looked like a joke when I cheesed him during The golden shadow. Believe me, he is anything but. Why? Because of this thing.
HP: 3000, STR: 77, TEC: 59, VIT: 58, AGI: 52, LUC: 53
- Resonant Thunder: Cannot be disabled. Deals ranged TEC-based Volt damage to each party member at the end of the turn. Damage is based on the number of turns that have passed since the Yellow Heart was summoned: 60%, 90%, 135%, 200%, 300%, 450%, 675%, 1000%. The damage resets when the Yellow Heart dies. Does not check for accuracy.
100% 100% 100% 125% 100% 0%
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
The Yellow Heart--actually, all the dragon hearts--are the culmination of EO2U's terrible boss design. The Yellow Heart specifically isn't that bad, given that it only has 3000 HP, but it still needs to die as soon as it gets summoned, since the Resonant Thunder damage scales up quickly, transforming turns where you might've barely survived something into a game over.
As for the Storm Emperor himself, this is a rough list of his behavior patterns:
- Turns 1-3: Volt Torrent, Judgement, (usually) Attack
- If Storm Emperor drops below 75% on those turns, or after turn 3 passes, he will summon the Yellow Heart
- After summoning the Yellow Heart, will use Binding Dance or Corrupting Howl
And that's about all I can make out of the Google Translate spew.
So what characters are good for Storm Emperor, you might ask? The answer is primarily "elemental damage dealers," but equally important is some way to use Volt Wall. If you don't have an at least level 5 Volt Wall on you, Volt Torrent will just kill your entire party no questions asked, and head binds or debilitating ailments aren't reliable. If Phoebe isn't voted in, I'll get a Volt Wall Grimoire and stick it on someone.
Also, regarding the conditional: remember how I had to use Akashic Nova to get the Lava Beast's "kill with Fire" conditional? Same deal here. Some form of composite damage that involves Volt is the preferred method of getting stuff like that, and Akashic Nova, Burst Shot, and Link Order are all decent at getting it because they also get bonus damage from being counted as Fire.
With that in mind:
Ranger: I am taking Ranger along pretty much solely for Akashic Nova.
Zack: Volt Chaser counts for the conditional, but it's dependent on stuff like Akashic Nova, Burst Shot, and Link Order proccing off either of them. Another option is to get Zack level 20 Fencer and Double Attack, and using either Volt Prelude or a Shock Oil on him--that'll deal 330% damage per Attack command.
Freyja: Freyja sadly can't just slaughter the Storm Emperor in a few turns, given that I'm not using Stigmata, but with Sophie, she's still a decent option. Without Sophie, she'll...well, she'll certainly have a time. That's for sure.
Stardust: Stardust is a reliable option for dealing tons of heavy elemental damage, and she could even try for the conditional using Volt Palm.
Asriel: Asriel deals some damage, but can't really do a ton for the conditional. That's all I have to say.
Jackie: Jackie's a pretty good source of elemental damage, and Charged Volt or Burst Shot are both ways for her to help get the conditional.
Tyler: Tyler can kinda help with the conditional, and deals decent damage outside of that.
Phoebe: Volt Wall is unconditionally a necessity for stopping Volt Torrent, and Front Guard takes quite a lot of the sting out of the Storm Emperor's physical skills.
Ursa: Ursa will need a Volt Wall Grimoire, but outside of that, she'll need some pretty heavy ailment-curing support if she hopes to tank Storm Emperor attacks.
Nadia: Nadia is very fast, but can't really dodge-tank a lot of stuff, since most of Storm Emperor's skills are all-party. Storm Emperor also has 25% resistance to both blind and paralysis, meaning she'll be spending a lot of time trying to inflict them.
Realga: Realga is a backup plan for Binding Dance, since I can put a Head Guard on her, and just have her use Unbind on the same turn as Binding Dance. For ailments, though, it's just a matter of hoping she doesn't get tagged with debilitating ailments, maybe putting a Curb DEF Up Grimoire on her.
Milly: Given that Ranger is being forced, Milly is an inherently good choice, even though Corrupting Howl is designed to counter her.
Sophie: Creeping Curse lets Sophie bypass Storm Emperor's heavy disable resistances, and she also has a huge 22 LUC advantage on the Storm Emperor.
Colette: Colette is an amazingly good support, almost entirely because of Barrier. It won't do a ton against Binding Dance, but against Judgement and Corrupting Howl, it can just straight-up stop them.
Rheine: Link Order is one of my preferred ways of getting the conditional. Besides that, though, Prevent Order is less useful than you'd think, since Corrupting Howl purges buffs before attempting to inflict ailments.
Vote for a maximum of four party members, at least one from each category, and a maximum of two votes per character.