Part 20: Ninja Gaiden Sigma: Chapter 10
Guess what? We don't need to be playing as Rachel to experience one of the dumber changes made to the game compared to Black.
- At two separate instances a helicopter will fly by and do a bombing run on Ryu
- The APCs that the Vigoorian Soldiers come out of no longer are counted as enemies as they don't shoot their turrets
- The blue door in the square connecting back to Dworku is blocked by an APC, requiring Ryu to retrace his steps back to the Lily Door
- Past the Skull Door and into the building overlooking the Military Gate, the Strongbow is no longer on the top floor
- In the military gate area, there are now Vigoorian RPG soldiers to kill along with the turrets
- Following that immediately is the one RPG soldier in the window, and killing him causes the Strongbow to materialize
- Instead of shooting the gate control switch, the player fights Alternator and then the gate opens
Now while not nearly as awful as Gamov, Alternator is still a pretty shitty fight in that Hayashi looked at Dynamo, decided to do a reskin, add a new move and shitty battlefield condition, then use that as a replacement for what was a rather inocuous and perfectly harmless moment of backtracking in the original game.
Alternator fights exactly like Dynamo but the one new trick he has is a dash attack, which has surprisingly huge range no matter what distance you're at, and can be pretty difficult to react to. On top of the extra aggression, the helicopter that you simply had to survive against in Black now aids Alternator by doing a bombing run, much like it did at two points earlier in this chapter. The extra chaos doesn't improve on this kind of fight in any way. There's nothing else to be said. Alternator is lame and that style of boss fight did not need to be revisited.