Part 37: Ninja Gaiden Black: Chapter 16
ArclightBorealis and PSWII60 would like to express our utmost appreciation and respect for the creators of one of the true classic games of our time.
And here it is. The final boss...not quite what one would expect, huh? It doesn't have a strong sense of "finality" to it or whatever, but Fiend Murai is still a pretty good boos fight on the whole. His movements are much like his human form, but with the Dark Dragon Blade his methods of attack are way different. And numerous to say the least.
- Like with his nunchucks, Murai's got a multi hit combo with the Dark Dragon Blade that cannot be blocked for long, so guard the first hit and proceed to roll out of the way.
- Murai can do a quick teleport that will either place him next to Ryu above the ground, or directly above for a downward attack.
- Fiend Murai still has a forward charge move, but it's much more devastating than before as Murai takes a cue from M.Bison by doing a psycho crusher that has way longer range and can semi-track Ryu. There's no safe distance or angle to be at, so good dodge timing is necessary.
- Unlike his human form, Fiend Murai can summon projectiles to fire at Ryu, similar to Alma's energy orb attack. They'll either fire in quick succession or all at once, and these can be initiated at any point during his normal attacks. Even in the air. The application of these projectiles is not unlike Virgil in Devil May Cry with his summoned swords ability.
- Murai still has a grab move where he impales Ryu on the Dark Dragon Blade and tosses him aside. Not staying to close to him or getting stuck in a long combo is the best way to avoid it.
- Very rarely, Murai will telepathically hold his sword infront of him, with it facing up right. Attacking during this animation will trigger a counter attack of his own. Even though it is rare, the animation is so distinct that it's not hard to fall for when you know to look for it.
- Finally, once Fiend Murai reaches 50% health, he'll occasionally teleport outside the stage to summon a literal Dark Dragon via Ninpo. There's no way to hit him during this summoning, so the only way to deal is wait for the Dragon to plummet into the ground, and jump to avoid its shockwave. Murai will then teleport back to the arena and the fight can progress normally.