I'm sure I don't need to introduce South Park. If you've watched Comedy Central any amount of time in the past 18 years, you've at least heard of it in passing. There have been several South Park games, most of them have been, to put it bluntly, awful or unplayable.
The Stick of Truth is neither, which is pretty impressive given its development history. It was developed by Obsidian, initially published by THQ, and eventually picked up by Ubisoft after THQ filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The game was initially scheduled to be released in March of 2013. After the title was acquired by Ubisoft, the release date was pushed back several times, with it eventually releasing a full year later in March of 2014.
What kind of game is it?
The Stick of Truth is a single player RPG, with minor open world elements. You control the New Kid, a 9 year old who just moved to the Colorado town. You can wander freely around South Park and talk to the locals. Many of them will have quests for you to complete, and in between that there is lots of combat.
The combat system isn't a traditional turn based style of RPG, instead it cribs from Paper Mario heavily. You can press buttons just before being hit to reduce incoming damage, and likewise, pressing a button before hitting something increases the damage you deal.
Also it's an incredibly crude and offensive game, which fits given the source material.
Yeah. One of the playable classes is Jew, you run around farting on things and calling it magic, the faction you join at the start of the game is the Kingdom of Kupa Keep, you can beat up vagrants to make the town appear like it cares. And so much more. To say more would be to spoil half of the, frankly, insane shit that happens in this game.
To that end, please no spoilers! This game won Giant Bomb's "Best Moment of 2014" category for a reason. That reason is massive spoilers.
No talking about spoilers, no black bars, no being coy, no "oh wait till you see this part," nothing!
Also for the sake of sanity, please no socio-political discussions. It's too much of a minefield and this is a thread about a comedy game. D&D is thataway.
Added Aug 18, 2015 - I thought I wasn't going to have to say this, but apparently I do. Please don't be a creepy fuck.
So what kind of LP is this?
I tried to do it video, but there is so much amazing voice acting that there was nowhere to explain basic mechanics without tripping over the game as a result. So, to that end, I'm doing this as a screenshot LP with optional videos showing off the cool moments. Also gifs, expect lots of gifs.
This LP should also be considered to be extremely NWS. I'm not going to dwell on anything that might come up, but you will see shit that will get you fired if you get caught reading this at work.
Table of Contents
- Part 1 - Making Friends in South Park
- Part 2 - Evicting Vagrants
- Part 3 - What the Fuck is Wrong With This Town?
- Part 4 - City Wok and the Tower of Peace
- Part 5 - Repping the Row
- Part 6 - South Park Elementary
- Part 7 - Chickadee-y Has Invited You to a Blood Orgy Next Sunday
- Part 8 - The Inn of the Giggling Donkey
- Part 9 - It is Illegal for Australia and Europe to Read This
- Part 10 - Recruiting the Goth Kids
- Part 11 - Flag Hunting
- Part 12 - The Requisite Sewer Level
- Part 13 - New Message from Al Gore
- Part 14 - A Super Cereal Update
- Part 15 - A Flute is Just What I Need to Play Magical Songs of Enchantment
- Part 16 - Somehow that Green Goo Makes Hallway Monitors Even Lamer!
- Part 17 - Not Now Dad, I'm Making a Ruler of Darkness Video
- Part 18 - BONUS - The Path Not Chosen
- Part 19 - Gotta go to Work, Work all Night. Search for Underpants, Hey!
- Part 20 - Emergency Meeting at the Elven Forest
- Part 21 - Meeting the Girls
- Part 22 - The ESRB is Going Crazy
- Part 23 - Christmastime is Once a Year
- Part 24 - You Need... A Passport
- Part 25 - Blame Canada
- Part 26 - Nagasaki
- Part 27 - Voila! Bonjour! Merci beaucoup!
- Part 28 - The Dark Lord's Fortress
- Part 29 - New Kid Came to the Stomach Dark
- Part 30 - I Banish Thee from Space and Time!
- Part 31 - Screw You Guys, I'm Going Home
- Part 32 - BONUS - Shit I Missed
- Part 33 - BONUS - Extra Dialogue 1
- Part 34 - BONUS - Extra Dialogue 2
- Part 35 - BONUS - What Could Have Been