IntroductionFire Emblem was a twin all along. Lets play TearRing Saga!
What is TearRing Saga?
TearRing Saga is a SRPG for the PSX, developed by Tirnanog, a studio started by Shouzou Kaga the creator of the Fire Emblem series. It was released 2001 in Japan and never got a western release. However the TearRing Saga Open translation project ( link) finally released a beta patch. While the game was perfectly playable before to anyone having played a Fire Emblem game before (due to how similar they are), it is now possible to experience the story as well, although in a slight engrishy way, due to the patch being a beta version. Still it shouldnt annoy anyone too much, unless they are a grammar purist.
The game tells a typical story we've seen plenty of times e.g. Young Lords fighting an evil empire aligned with dark forces, who are hell bent on conquering/destroying the world, but entertains through the same qualities as any Fire Emblem game does: the generally strong gameplay and of course the fickle ways of the RNG.
Surely, calling it a twin is going to far...
Im afraid not. You have your typical promotions and classes, a lord, permanent deaths, supports etc. To make a long story short, IntSys actually sued Tirnanog for copyright infringement and while it wasnt ruled as such, Tirnanog still had to pay a 76 million yen fine. Thats how similar they are.
Now let's get this thing started...
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 Landing at Port Saura
- Intermission - Arrival in Verje
- TearRing Saga vs. Fire Emblem - Mechanics Edition
- Chapter 2 - Exterminating the Taurus Bandits
- Intermission 2 Returning to Verje
- Chapter 3 Encounter at Saura Harbor
- Chapter 4 Conquering Gram Forest
- Chapter 5 Big Trouble in the little Temple of Mars
- Intermission 3 Returning to Gram Forest
- Chapter 6 Crossing the Wellt Bridge
- Chapter 7 Liberation of Wellt
- Intermission 4 Victory celebration and the departure
- Chapter 8 Thriller!
- Intermission 5 Arrival at the mainland
- Chapter 9 Soldiers of Canaan
- Chapter 10 Mercenaries and Desertation
- Intermission 6 Another celebration and Holmes departure
- Chapter 11 The Taurus Bandits strike again!
- Chapter 12 Attack on Maerhen's hideout
- Chapter 13 The Granada Privateers
- Chapter 14 - Gladiotorial Adventures
- Chapter 15 A stroll through Braad
- Chapter 16 The Floating Eyeball Massaker
- Intermission 7 Runan returns
- Chapter 17 The Hero of the Plains
- Chapter 18 - The Shield of Canaans last stand
- Chapter 19 Recapturing Salia Village
- Intermission 8 The RNG wishes a Merry Christmas
- Chapter 20 The way towards Old Leda Castle
- Intermission 9 Making sense out of TearRing Saga
- Chapter 21 The Demon Dragon Kranion
- Chapter 22 Revelations
- Chapter 23 Family Reunion
- Intermission 10 Second Route Split
- Chapter 24 Retaking Zemsellia
- Chapter 25 Runans desert adventures
- Chapter 26 Freedom for Lazeria
- Intermission 11 Japanese Love Comedy and a history lesson
- Chapter 27 Filler! Filler Night!
- Chapter 28 The Imperial Navy still sucks
- Chapter 29 Granadas liberation
- Chapter 30 The power of Renee
- Intermission 12 The Tower of Moses
- Intermission 13 Love and Trouble are in the air
- Chapter 31 A Traitors reappearence
- Chapter 32/33 The Temple of Fire
- Intermission 14 ancient and not so ancient history
- Chapter 34 The Sword of Canaan
- Chapter 35 The Royal Palace of Leeve
- Chapter 36 Peace Negotiations
- Chapter 37 The Sacred Sword of Leeve
- Chapter 38 Path to the Gazel Temple (Part 1)
- Chapter 39 Path to the Gazel Temple (Part 2)
- Chapter 40 The Temple of Gazel
- Epilogue - Part 1
- Epilogue - Part 2
- Game Evaluation
- Character and Skill Data part 1
- Character and Skill Data part 2