IntroductionWelcome everyone, to another LP. This time I'm going to be LPing an old favorite that I've replayed a number of times over the last fifteen years:
Fallout 2 is an unusual species of PC game, an open world RPG that's played out on in a 3D isometric perspective on a hex grid. The setting is post-apocalyptic, the combat is turn based, and you can pretty much go anywhere and do anything that the game engine will allow you to do. There are usually peaceful ways that you can solve just about any quest, and a sneak thief is just as valid a build as Rambo. For something produced in 1998 it was revolutionary, and it's still aged well enough to be entertaining today. I'm playing with the Mac version from Good Old Games, so that's going to produce some constraints on the LP. Luckily it's patched up to 1.02, which should eliminate some of the more egregious bugs.
You could almost describe the Fallout series as future steampunk. The setting has a retro 50's aesthetic, with a lot of the tech looking like what people in that period imagined the future would look like. It's a pretty unique look, and gives the series a lot of its character. The apocalypse referred to earlier took place in an alternate timeline as a series of conflicts from 2060 to 2077, culminating in a nuclear exchange on October 23rd, 2077. Humanity was nearly wiped out, with a few scattered survivors living on the surface and others staying in great underground Vaults. 84 years later the Vault Dweller, the hero of Fallout 1, emerged from Vault 13 in search of a water chip and ended up saving the world from a psychic mutant. It was complicated. After succeeding the Vault Dweller was exiled from the Vault and left to build a small community out in the wastelands. 80 years later the village is in trouble and it falls to you, the descendant of the Vault Dweller, to save it.
I'd highly recommend that anybody who's interested watch the intro that's been posted for public consumption here.
This is going to be a screenshot LP, with the main run being designed specifically to access as many quests as possible. I'm building the character that way for a reason, and I'll be showing off as much as possible. Once the main thread is done I'll post some bonus updates, including showing off a popular exploit/shortcut and a bit about how the game changes if you play with a female character. I'm going to be doing this in a narrative style, but there will be occasional notes from this little guy:
When I want to interject a bit of gameplay commentary. I'll probably also throw in a couple of gameplay centered updates just to explain the game itself from time to time, and let people know why I'm making some of the choices I'm making.
Table of Contents
- Update 1: Legend of the Hidden Temple
- Update 2: The What and Why of Character Creation
- Update 3: The Village Green Preservation Society
- Update 4: Bugmen of the Scrub Forest
- Update 5: Rat Regicide
- Update 6: Mean Streets and Meaner Men
- Update 7: Do I Own Him Now?
- Update 8: Of Henchmen and Perks
- Update 9: These Boots are Made for Goo
- Update 10: Child Abduction for Fun and Profit
- Update 11: It Doesn't Just Roll Downhill
- Update 12: City of Tight Asses
- Update 13: Are You My Daddy?
- Update 14: It Puts the Lotion On Its Skin
- Update 15: The Simpson Method
- Update 16: Gifted, You Say?
- Update 17: There's an Old Sheriff in Town
- Update 18: Non-Violent Solutions
- Update 19: Ranger Up
- Update 20: Criminal Enterprises
- Update 21: Two Types of People
- Update 22: Base Noir
- Update 23: The $5000 man
- Update 24: The Greatest
- Update 25: One, Two, Three Sheriffs! Ha Ha Ha
- Update 26: Red Christmas
- Update 27: Flying High
- Update 28: Khan't Touch This
- Update 29: The Dance of the Winds
- Update 30: Loose Ends
- Update 31: Money for Nothing
- Update 32: Go West, Young Man
- Update 33: The Legend Continues
- Update 34: The Magnificent
- Update 35: "You'll Never Be Rich "
- Update 36: A Betting Man
- Update 37: Behind the Curtains
- Update 38: Alone and Unafraid
- Update 39: Semper Fidelis
- Update 40: What Came After
- Mechanics 2: Follower Profiles and the Pip Boy
- Mechanics 3: More Followers, More Feats!
- Mechanics 4: Semi-Final Followers, Final Perks
- Post-Game Extras: Read All About It
The Journeys of Hung Wei Lo
- The Journeys of Hung Wei Lo: Episode 1
- The Journeys of Hung Wei Lo: Episode 2
- The Journeys of Hung Wei Lo: Episode 3
- The Journeys of Hung Wei Lo: Final Reckoning
- Buffy Season One: A Woman's Wasteland Experience
- Buffy Season Two: Glitch Aplenty
- Buffy Season Three: Many Positions Available
- Buffy Season Four: A Shining Star
- Buffy Season Five: Captain Buffy
- The Dakka Way: Update 1
- The Dakka Way: Update 2
- The Dakka Way: Update 3
- The Dakka Way: Update 4
- The Dakka Way: Update 5
- The Dakka Way: Update 6
- The Dakka Way: Update 7