IntroductionI've got Sand in my everything! Let's Play Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Pretty much. Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is the fourth game in the Homeworld series, and the first in chronological order. This game takes place 110 years before Homeworld 1, and tells the tale of the mission to recover the unusual artefact discovered in the Deserts of Kharak - the
Yes, the developers made no secret of the end goal, even as the characters in-game have no clue to start.
Is it any Good?
It's not a 3D game any more, due to taking place on the surface of Kharak. That doesn't change the fact that this is still the same design team that created the first Homeworld, and without the horrible development cycle of Homeworld 2. I would place it at about the same level of Cataclysm, though for different reasons. The plot is well paced and written, the mechanics are simple and well integrated, the graphics are beautiful.
The LP itself
Like my previous LPs of the Homeworld series, this will be a subtitled video LP. There is a difficulty setting, but I will keep that at 'Normal'. Videos will not cut anything out, though I will definitely fast-forward through the long waiting/resourcing sections of the game.
At the end, I will do skirmish runs with both factions, then perhaps play some actual multiplayer with some willing Goons.
Yes. I did Homeworld, Homeworld: Cataclysm, and Homeworld 2. Only HW1 has immediate plot relevance, and its manual is recommended reading. HW2 can be ignored (thankfully). And Cataclysm? Well, the Somtaaw are back, and the Kapisi has the same spirit as the Kuun-Lan, as the later missions will show. Though you don't need that game to understand this one.
NONE! None whatsoever, unless I bring it up in a video first. I recognize that not everyone will have played or experienced Homeworld before watching this LP, but there are plenty of points where foreshadowing needs to be illuminated. Therefore, this LP will contain spoilers about the other games, but please don't spoil them ahead of time.
- Mission 01 - Epsilon Base | Youtube
- Mission 02 - The Boneyard | Youtube
- Mission 03 - Cape Wrath | Youtube
- Mission 04 - Kalash Site | Youtube
- Mission 05 - Kalash Wreck | Youtube
- Mission 06 - Beladin Dune Sea | Youtube
- Mission 07 - Gaalsien Base | Youtube
- Mission 08 - Gaaraki Highlands | Youtube
- Mission 09 - The Whispering Gallery | Youtube
- Mission 10 - Khashar Approach | Youtube
- Mission 11 - Khashar Plateau | Youtube
- Mission 12 - Torin Crater | Youtube
- Mission 13 - Khar-Toba | Youtube
- Skirmish 01 - Coalition (Domination) | Youtube
- Skirmish 02 - Gaalsien (Artifact Retrieval) | Youtube
- Skirmish 03 - Sobaan (Domination) | Youtube
Art and Other Images
MShadowy produced two sketches/drawings of what the Kalash (Missions 04 and 05) may have looked like when it was intact. They are included here:
I got an image of the religious carving in the Gaalsien base from the starting cutscene of Mission 08. Have a look, and see just how much history is referenced.
This is another image of the Kiith symbols found in the Khar-Toba. I kinda like it, and used it as the image for the last mission instead of the mission patch.