Another fucking Wind Waker thread, are you serious?
No, wait! Come back! I promise, this isn't the Wind Waker you think it is. If you saw the Ocarina of Time thread, the game has some new tricks up its sleeve, but you're in the right mindset. For those of you haven't, Chaos Mode essentially turns a bunch of different cheat codes on and off at random, ranging from "we can use the moonjump to bypass this stupid puzzle entirely" to "The game is literally unplayable right now".
So what's changed from Ocarina?
The author of the hack, for starters. This one comes from CosmoCortney, and she takes a different approach to how the hacks affect the game. Specifically, things seem to run on a global timer - in general, the game starts with warping characters models, then the colors start changing, and after that comes the physics fuckery. It also does a lot more model swaps than Ocarina did. Anyone who saw the first stream or two a few months back can attest to Outset Island's infestation of mailboxes and the green tentacles.
- Color changes! And I don't mean like Link's pink tunic, I mean "the entire world is rapidly flashing colors and now the sky is yellow and the ocean is pink"
- Model swaps! In Ocarina, the few swaps that did happen were mostly fixed. Dark Link replaced the Prelude of Light pedestal for Adult Link and there was that redead in Kokiri Forest, but Wind Waker plays it a lot more fast and loose. Every mailbox could become Valoo or Phantom Ganon, it's a surprise around every corner!
- Nemesis mode! You ever wonder what Ganon does while Link is busy saving the world? It turns out that he's actually following you around and could attack you at any minute! Stay safe, Goku!
- Actual physics! That bridge gently swaying in the breeze? You and I both know that thing's a deathtrap. A whole new world of getting screwed by physics awaits!
- Layering fuckups! What do you mean the water and background shouldn't be drawn over the active playing area?
- Projectile motion! Will your arrows instantly teleport to wherever you targeted? Or will they move at half-speed, almost certainly missing whatever you were trying to hit?
- Sticky feet! The Iron Boots can get "stuck", making you unable to put them on. Or maybe more importantly, take them off.
- Low gravity (including the inability to climb ledges)
- Forced motion (both forwards and backwards)
- Model deformities (including some new ones, like Eldritch Abomination Link)
- Sound effects playing at entirely inappropriate times
- The C-Right Roulette
Camera fuckeryThe Dutch Angle makes its glorious return!
- It's no longer perpetually night
- Rupees no longer randomly disappear
- Our sword is no longer filled with bugs
- Infinite fish bottles
- Infinite two hearts
Giant chests that can't be openedTurns out giant stuff is still in!
- The shield glitch (which includes Link's third hand and dual wielding)
And maybe more! Who knows what else is lurking beneath the surface?
You might notice that most of the things that were removed are the ones that actively impacted your ability to play the game. As a consequence, Wind Waker is a lot more...player-friendly than Ocarina was. It certainly has its moments, don't get me wrong, but on the whole WW plays a lot closer to the base game than Ocarina ever did.
I don't believe you
Two things of note before we begin - First, this is a stream LP It is recorded in advance with little editing, so if those things offend your sensibilities, I suggest you look elsewhere.
Second, this game prominently features rapidly changing colors. If you are sensitive to this sort of thing, I highly suggest that you do not watch this LP. I do not have any idea when the colors will start, and at best can apply a warning to the recorded videos.
VideosA Very Special Encore
Part 1 - Outset Island
Part 2 - Outset Island
Part 3 - Forsaken Fortress 1
Part 4 - Forsaken Fortress 1
Part 5 - Windfall Island
Double the Valoo, Double the Fun
Part 1 - Dragon Roost Island
Part 2 - Dragon Roost Cavern
Part 3 - Dragon Roost Cavern
Part 4 - Dragon Roost Cavern
A Leafy Adventure
Part 1 - Forest Haven
Part 2 - Forbidden Woods
Part 3 - Forbidden Woods
Part 4 - Greatfish Isle
Part 5 - Windfall Island
What Does God Need With a Tower?
Part 1 - Windfall Island
Part 2 - Triangle Islands
Part 3 - Tower of the Gods
Part 4 - Tower of the Gods
Part 5 - Tower of the Gods
Do You Remember Ocarina of Time?
Part 1 - Hyrule Castle
Part 2 - Dragon Roost Island
Part 3 - The Great Sea
Part 4 - The Great Sea
Spoilers, It's Phantom Ganon
Part 1 - Forsaken Fortress 2
Part 2 - Hyrule Castle
Part 3 - Dragon Roost Island
Part 4 - Ice Ring Isle
Get a Haircut, Ya Damn Harpy
Part 1 - Earth Temple
Part 2 - Earth Temple
Part 3 - Earth Temple
Part 4 - The Great Sea
Part 5 - Wind Temple
The Emperor's New Shoes
Part 1 - Wind Temple
Part 2 - Wind Temple
Part 3 - Wind Temple
Goku's Bogus Adventure Under the Sea
Part 1 - Final Boss Prep
Part 2 - Ganon's Tower
Part 3 - Ganon's Tower
Part 4 - Puppet Ganon
Part 5 - Ganon/Credits