IntroductionThis LP is finished as of September 22, 2009.
About the game
I'm sure most people know about the games of the Metroid series, since it's one of Nintendo's big three franchises. For those who don't know much about Metroid or the remake, here's some background information:
The first game, Metroid, was released in 1986 in Japan for the Nintendo Famicom Disk System, and then later came out in North America in 1987 for the NES system. For its time, it was quite the non-linear game with several rooms to explore with power ups scattered all over Zebes that you could collect to improve the abilities of the character you controlled, Samus Aran, a space bounty hunter. It also had different endings based how fast you completed the game, with shorter times revealing more of Samus herself. I guess that was supposed to serve as motivation to beat the game as fast as possible. I still find it a pretty fun game today, though the game has definitely showed its age, due to the password system used in the NES version and the annoying bits of grinding that have to be done on a reloaded save for health and items.
Fast forward to 2004, and we have Metroid Zero Mission, an enhanced remake of Metroid. I can summarize the changes to it by saying it's the Metroid 1 map and non-linear gameplay with new areas to explore and monsters to kill. It also uses a modified version of Metroid Fusion engine, while borrowing gameplay mechanics and items from Super Metroid. So it combines all of the best parts of those games into one game released on the GBA. I consider it to be up there with Super Metroid for one of the best Metroid games in the series, and is a definite gold standard for how enhanced remakes should be done. If this intrigues you (and it should), you should watch this LP!
About this LP
Since Metroid Zero Mission is all about exploration and non-linear gameplay, There will be two concurrent playthrough branches of the game that I'll be doing during the LP. One will be a hard mode 100% run, and a normal mode 15% run. I will also be aiming for the fastest time in each case, so they will be done in 2 hours game time maximum. I've beaten this game while obtaining all the possible endings, so you can be sure that this will be done. The routes will be very different for each branch, even leaving out the item collection and backtracking for the 100% run. The common parts of each branch will only be recorded once, and that will only happen in two places in the game: the beginning, and one other point during the middle. I'll also match up the videos for each branch as close as I can so that the LP will be over when both playthroughs are finished. I plan on putting in little extras in the videos every now and then also, so watch out for them!
This LP will show most of what the game has to offer, and show how to play the game skillfully with commentary from myself and various guests, some who have agreed to guest commentate a priori for awhile. Other people that I know as well may come along later too.
- For the 100% branch, please let me know if there are any mechanics, bugs, whatever that I miss that you'd like me to show off and I will probably do it.
- There are 9 required items that must be picked up in normal mode. For the 15% run, that means I can collect 6 powerups of my choosing. Give me your suggestions for choices with reasons, and I'll consider it.
- Extra stuff to be added as the LP progresses...
Branch A, Part 1: Hard Mode 100% Videos
- A01 - The Joys of Sequence Breaking - Bombs to Kraid's Hideout (GrimFiend) (Youtube). Featuring Garin, Static_Fiend and Jowy for guest commentary.
- A02 - Into the Beast's Hideout: Kraid's Lair to Kraid (GrimFiend) (Youtube). With Solar System Busta.
- A03 - He's Just Hungry and Wants to be Fed: Kraid to Norfair (Youtube), this time with Sartak.
- A04 - First Zebes Scavenger Hunt: Norfair Part 1 (GrimFiend) (Youtube), with a surprise guest.
- A05 - First Zebes Scavenger Hunt: Norfair Part 2 (GrimFiend) (Youtube), with the comedy delights of
retsupurayslowbeef and Diabetus.
- A06 - Fire and Brimstone: Ridley's Hideout to Ridley (GrimFiend) (Youtube). Dual Audio tracks in this one! One version is with me solo commentary, the other I'm joined with the amusing antics of Static Fiend, Jowy and Garin. See here for more details.
- A07 - Still Shinespalling: Ridley to Tourian (Youtube), with the usual trio.
- A08 - Evil Eye: Tourian (Youtube), with Garin, Static Fiend and Jowy.
Branch B, Part 1: Normal Mode 15% Videos
- B01 - A Journey to the Center of Zebes: Brinstar to Ridley's Hideout (Youtube) with Garin, Static Fiend and Jowy.
- B02 - There and Back Again: Ridley's Hideout (Youtube), with some interesting advice given by Oyster.
- B03 - Zip Line Out of Service: Ridley's Hideout to Kraid (GrimFiend) (Youtube).
- B04 - Quick and Painless: Kraid to Tourian (GrimFiend) (Youtube). With
- B05 - Different Yet the Same: Tourian (Youtube). This time with some more informative commentary from myself.
Middle Videos, Part 2
- M01 - Perfect Stealth in Perfect Darkness: Space Pirate Mother Ship to Chozodia (Youtube)
- M02 - Battle Suit Fully Operational: Chozodia to Space Pirate Mother Ship (Youtube). Chambraigne Deluxe and Pyronic are around this time for commentary.
Branch A, Part 2: Hard Mode 100% Videos
- A09 - Bombs Away; Second Zebes Scavenger Hunt, Part 1: Space Pirate Mother Ship (Youtube), with Garin, Jowy and Static Fiend for the item collection saga.
- A10 - Unsealed Secrets; Second Zebes Scavenger Hunt, Part 2: Space Pirate Mother Ship to Kraid's Hideout (Youtube)
- A11 - Final Hidden Treasures; Zebes Scavenger Hunt, Part 3: Kraid's Hideout to Space Pirate Mother Ship (Youtube)
- A12 - The Final Ball Spark: Escape From Space Pirate Mother Ship (Youtube), with my good buddies Sartak and Solar System Bus.
Branch B, Part 2: Normal Mode 15% Video
- B06 - Anti-Climax: Escape From Space Pirate Mother Ship (Youtube), with some more insight from Oyster.
- Preview of Things to Come. An escape from Kraid's Hideout (GrimFiend) (Youtube)
- Why the Power Grip is Required (GrimFiend) (Youtube)
- Metroid - Getting the Varia Suit Early (GrimFiend) (Youtube)
- Metroid - Beating Kraid the Easy Way (GrimFiend) (Youtube)
- An Alternate Method to Obtain the Screw Attack (GrimFiend) (Youtube)
- Quick Mother Brain Kill & Escape (GrimFiend) (Youtube)
- Alternate Path in Chozodia Without the Screw Attack (GrimFiend) (Youtube)
Random Stuff Related to Metroid in general (not my stuff)
- Metroid Zero Mission Endings
- Metroid Fusion Endings
- Metroid 1 manga game guide, as was used in Season 2, Episode 5 of GameCenter CX
- Official Metroid manga that was never seen in the West, based off Metroid Zero Mission.
- U.S. Metroid: Zero Mission Ad
- 1.5 minute Japanese Metroid: Zero Mission Ad 1.5 minute ad consisting purely of gameplay.
- Crocomire, in my Metroid: Zero Mission game??
- Secret message doing the intended sequence break in Metroid Fusion.
- Sequence break of above sequence break.
- Alternate escape route on Easy. How do you reliably reproduce this??