Part 36: Update #3Let's All Play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - The Murdered Munitions Magnate (Update #3)
Notebook (New clues will be spoilered.)
1. Richard Allen paid a visit to the detectives at 221b Baker Street. His brother, Courtney Allen, was the president of the Grant Arms Company (Corporate Offices). Courtney was found shot to death in the alley behind his office on the evening of March 9th. Scotland Yard put it down to a simple robbery by a person, or persons, unknown.
According to Richard, Courtney was a dynamic and charismatic individual who was always busy and on the move. Apparently, no woman could resist him. Even though he was married to Beatrice Allen, who is inheriting Courtney's stock, he was known to have a string of affairs with different women. None of these women can be named at this time.
The company's second vice-president, Philip Marlowe, has now taken over the presidency of the company. He was handpicked as the successor by Courtney himself. The transfer of power should have gone to the senior vice-president, Lord Ragland (who runs the (Grant Arms Co.) Deverall Street Plant. But according to Richard, Lord Ragland is a brilliant technician but a rather inept businessman.
The personal effects found on Courtney were a few folders, a keychain, his gold wedding band and a small notebook. His pocket watch was missing as well as the contents of one of the files labelled "SP 10". There were two entries in the notebook made on the day of Courtney's death, One is "Captain Egan - 8:30 PM" and the other is "Plant, 8 AM, surprise!" There is also a note in the back of the book, written in Courtney's hand, which says "Meet me tonight at Spaniard's (Inn) at 10 o'clock" followed by the initials "A.M."
2. Courtney Allen visited Captain Egan's office eight months ago with a design for a revolutionary new naval gun. It was approved by the navy and considered "most secret". Allen failed to appear for the meeting with Egan on March 9th, but we already knew the reason why. Captain Egan had no idea what the meeting was about but he still had possession of the wire that he received:
"Meet tonight, 8:30, your office. Call out the guards, "Pounce" at 10."
Egan believes that Allen was worried about the security surrounding "Project #10" so he put his best men onto it right away. They discovered that Richard Camp, a development engineer on Project #10, was bringing boxes and bundles to the French Embassy. The French Military Attache, Emile Zobar, has an office that is located within the embassy. Egan believes that Allen had, and still has, information that on Camp that implicated him in a breach of security regarding "Project #10". Captain Egan had a meeting with Lord Ragland, who is the head of the project, on March 11th and he was assured that Camp's security fails were unfounded. But as a precaution, Lord Ragland also assured him that Camp would be removed from the project.
Captain Egan believes that other governments would have a lot of interest in this new naval gun and because of this, he is currently investigating important military attaches who are currently in the city. These people are: Emile Zobar, Frederick von Schulenberg, Hector Del Guerra and Alexi Meshkoff.
3. We were greeted by Walter Keyhoe at the Deverall Street Plant, he informed us that Lord Ragland wasn't currently available but he was able to meet with us in his place. Keyhoe said that Courtney Allen visited the office on the morning of March 9th to see Lord Ragland, but he wasn't in the building at that time. He had no idea what the meeting would have been about but suspected that it may have had something to do with "Special Project #10". Lord Ragland didn't show up for the meeting so Allen told Keyhoe that "he had some details to attend too", Keyhoe returned to the plant at this point. A quarter of an hour later, Allen called Keyhoe and then handed him a note which was addressed to Lord Ragland, claiming that it had arrived when Keyhoe was working down on the line. He was very adamant that Lord Ragland should receive the letter and also expressed that he didn't want his visit to the office to be known.
We were referred to Richard Camp to find out more information about "Special Project #10", but he had left the plant earlier today as he wasn't feeling well.
Walter Keyhoe is in the directory but his residence leads to a dead end:
4. Sir Jasper Meek has informed us that Courtney Allen was shot in the chest from around two feet away. There were extensive powder burns on his overcoat and it seems like it was a larger calibre due to the "massive" exit wound.
5. We spoke to Beatrice Allen who spoke very highly of her husband, she has no idea about his business and doesn't believe that anyone would want to murder him.
6. Holmes asked Philip Marlowe about the murder of Courtney Allen. Marlowe was much more concerned about the missing plans to "Secret Project #10". He has no idea what has happened to them but has informed us that Scotland Yard is on the case. Marlowe told us that n the evening of March 9th, he was having dinner with Sir Clayton Partridge after playing a round of golf earlier in the day. Marlowe also confirmed the details that surrounded his promotion, the understanding that he would take over after Allen's retirement is the key reason why he joined the company three years ago.
7. The owner of Spaniard's Inn remembered that on the evening of the 9th of March, two men with the initial AM reserved private rooms. Their names were Alexander "Mishkin" and Alexander Mariano. "Mishkin" arrived around 8:30 and ordered supper, he was described as a "giant of a fellow", spoke with an accent and had been walking with a cane. He was joined by an Englishman who looked to be in his mid-thirties, both of the men were carrying identical briefcases.
Mariano's reservation was for 9PM, he looked to be in his mid-thirties and wasn't carrying a briefcase. He was dining alone until a short, fat man arrived and joined him for dessert. Mariano is in the directory but visiting him leads to a dead end:
8. When we arrived at Richard Camp's home we found him to be rather unwell. He told us that Lord Ragland has reassigned him away from "Project #10" as it was well underway and that he'd be of more use in other areas. Lord Ragland also informed Camp that his visits to the French Embassy had been "misinterepreted in some quarters". Camp had been visiting the embassy because he is secretly engaged to Annette Zobar, daughter of the vice-council Paul Zobar. Her father disapproves of their relationship but her uncle, Emile Zobar is sympathetic to them. Most of Camp's visits to the embassy were to speak extensively to Emile, he claims that he did not mention anything about "Project #10" during his visits. Camp had brought a birthday present for Emile Zobar, a case of Burns & Hill cigarettes which are his favourite brand.
Paul Zobar is in the directory:
9. Alexi Meshkoff wasn't at home, we might have better luck trying to find him at the Russian Embassy.
10. Lestrade believes that the crime was a simple robbery. They found Allen dead in an alley behind the Grant Arms Company, his wallet was empty and he was missing his gold watch. The contents of Allen's briefcase were askew but Lestrade doesn't believe that anything was stolen from there. The only other objects at the crime scene were a couple of tin cans and a "B & H" cigarette butt with the end evenly pinched all round.
11. Watson met with Paul Zobar at the French Embassy, he informed us that Emile Zobar is currently at his home at this moment in time. When asked about Richard Camp, Paul was not forthcoming and got rather flustered at the mere mention of his name.
12. We finally tracked down Alexi Meshkoff at the Russian Embassy. He has admitted that his government is interested in the new naval gun that is being developed at the Grant Arms Company, but they are willing to be patient and will buy it when it is up for sale. He claims that he was attending a performance at the Covent Gardens Theatre on the evening of March 9th.
I commented in the video that I wasn't sure whether we could confirm this, I had forgotten that the Theatre is on the shortlist of locations. I apologise for any confusion.
13. Emile Zobar greeted us with open arms, but we didn't get too close as he is currently suffering with a cold. It hasn't stopped him from smoking his favourite brand of cigarettes, Burns & Hill Imperials. On the evening of March 9th he was playing chess at the Simpson's residence with Alfred. He acknowledges that he is acquainted with Camp and knows that he is employed by the Grants Arms Company, but nothing was revealed about "Project #10" and he knew better than to ask. Zobar knows about Camp's secret engagement to his niece, Annette. Emile has also revealed to us that his brother Paul dislikes English people, a feeling that Emile does not share.
Alfred Simpson is in the directory but unavailable to visit:
14. On the evening of March 9th, Hector del Guerrera was throwing a party for his wedding anniversary. Of the thirty people who were invited, most had arrived by 6:30 PM apart from Count von Schulenberg and his wife, who arrived at 8:30PM.
15. Holmes arranged a meeting with Mr Linhart, the new security for Marlowe, at the Corporate Offices of the Grant Arms Company. He confirmed that Courtney Allen and Captain Egan were scheduled to have a meeting at 8:30PM on March 9th but he doesn't know what that particular meeting was about. Linhart was aware that Allen and Egan had met frequently before to discuss "Project #10" but had found this occasion curious as this meeting was scheduled in the evening, whereas all of the previous meetings where held during the day. He saw Egan leave for the meeting around 8PM, he said "Goodnight" and left through the back door to the alley, where he always leaves, to catch a cab.
Linhart knew that Egan had concerns about security and had called in Lord Ragland after witnessing strange people hanging around the Deverall Street Plant. All of the technical data and blueprints are stored at the plant. He also disclosed that there was "no love lost" between Marlowe and Allen, then praised Allen for looking past this and naming him as his heir due to his business skills. This information seems to have alarmed Holmes.
William Linhart is in the directory but is unavailable to visit:
16. Lord Ragland, while lighting and smoking a Burns & Hill Imperial cigarette, confirmed that Courtney Allen had a meeting with Captain Egan. He also confirmed Allen's security concerns regarding Richard Camp but gave no credence to the idea after being approached. Ragland thinks that Camp is splendid and despite no marks on his record he still moved him elsewhere as a concession to Allen & Egan. Lord Ragland wasn't dissapointed with Marlowe being named president after Allen's death. He said that he was happy working in the technical areas as administration holds no interest to himself. He already knew about the conditions of Marlowe's contract with the company and understood that he was set to take over when Allen retired.
Admiralty, The - The Admiralty is located in Whitehall. All affairs of the Royal Navy and matters related to maritime activities fall under their jurisdiction. They are one of the most well-organized departments of our British Government.
Covent Garden Theatre - The Covent Garden Theatre is located near Covent Garden Market, on Bow Street in Westminster. It is a magnificent edifice that used to be devoted to Italian opera. As of late, it has been host to operas and fancy balls of all sorts. A favourite place of mine to hear Wagner.
Ellis, Henry (London Times) - Baker Street Regular.
Embassies - Spanish Embassy - Nothing on file.
Hall, Edward (Old Bailey) - Baker Street Regular.
Hogg, Quentin (Police Gazette) - Baker Street Regular.
Keen's Pub - Keen's is a quaint corner pub that serves a delectable kidney pie.
London Library - Baker Street Regular
Murray, H.R. (Scotland Yard - Criminology Lab) - Baker Street Regular.
O'Brian, Disraeli (Office Of Records) - Baker Street Regular.
Partridge, Sir Clayton - Sir Clayton is a scholarly gentleman who is also an excellent hunter. Ironically his game of choice is partridge.
Pike, Langdale (Society Club) - Baker Street Regular.
Raven & Rat Inn (Shinwell, Porky) - Baker Street Regular.
Somerset House - Baker Street Regular.
Tobacconists - Brady's Smoke Shoppe - Brady's Smoke Shoppe caters to an exclusive clientele. They are well-stocked with expensive foreign brands.
Tobacconists - Dunhill's Smoke Shoppe - Dunhill's is located on Regent Street. They carry an adequate stock of Watson's Ship tobacco, but they rarely have my beloved shag on hand. An excellent source, however, for sealskin tobacco pouches.
Tobacconists - Friborg & Treyer - Friborg * Treyer has a most impressive array of chewing tobaccos and snuff.
Tobacconists - Simpson's Cigar Divan - Simpson's specialities are cigars imported by the Dutch from their East Indian colonies. I have had several riveting conversations with Leonard Simpson, the proprietor, about distinguishing the brand of cigar simply by studying the ash.
Tobacconists - Wolf's Tobacco - Wolf's Tobacco is located at Waterloo Place, across from Dunhill's. Wolf's speciality is in Grosvenor mixture and Cavendish, neither of which merits my excellent pipe.
Vegetarian Restaurant - Located on the back side of Jabez Wilson's Pawn Shoppe. They are known for their cream of spinach soup.
von Schulenberg, Frederick - Count Frederick von Schulenberg is the Military Attache for the German Embassy here in London.
Time to vote!
You can choose up to, and including, five more locations for the detectives to visit. You're also free to send the Irregulars to one location.
We have visited seven out of seven key locations. We can end this case now if you can answer this question: Who killed Courtney Allen?
Voting will end on Friday 17th July at 2200 GMT.