What is this?
Angband is a third-generation roguelike game. Rogue begat Moria back in the 1980's, and Moria begat Angband in the early 90's. Angband is a hack-and-slash roguelike; it's all about beating up monsters to get experience and loot, so you can beat up bigger monsters for more experience and better loot. Diablo 1 is basically Angband with graphics and a plot. And real-time combat.
Angband's been in more or less continual development for its entire 20-odd-year history. Its codebase is surprisingly clean for such an old project; as a result, there's a ton of Angband variants out there. Heard of Zangband? ToME? Sil? They all originally started as Angband variants.
So what am I in for?
ASCII graphics! Procedurally-generated levels! Turn-based combat! A weird mix of old D&D, Tolkein, and whatever the devs have seen fit to throw in!
Angband is an infamously long game; players sometimes spend months on a single character. I'm going to do my best to keep the pace up and, if necessary, just plow through characters. I'm pretty decent at this game, but that doesn't mean that every character will win. "Play fast, die young, leave an ugly corpse" used to be my motto, but then they removed the Charisma stat so I guess my corpses are all now.
Will you be playing as [X] race or class?
Maybe! Once our first character dies I'll throw things open for you guys to inflict different possibilities on me.
Will you be playing my favorite variant?
I'm not, but our awesome fleet of goons is playing plenty of variants, and I've linked their posts, below. Seriously, you guys rock.
Where can I get the game?
The official releases are available here. If you want to play on the bleeding edge, then you can download the nightly builds here. I strongly recommend that new players read Bonus Update 2, which goes over character creation, as some races and classes are markedly better than others.
I can't be bothered to actually download official releases. I have a Git clone of the latest development version; that's what we'll be playing -- it's functionally like playing one of the nightly builds. Every once in awhile I'll pull and recompile. Practically speaking this won't mean much except that we might find the occasional bug. Usually these aren't game-breaking!
Table of Contents
- Update 1: Let's get started!
- Update 2: Chasing worms
- Update 3: Shopping
- Update 4: In Over Our Heads
- Update 5: Pass the brain bleach
- Update 6: Too Many Elves
- Update 7: A Bloody Swathe
- Update 8: Temptation
- Update 9: Equip SCUBA and Dive
- Update 10: Oh Wow, Everything Looks So Cosmic Now!
- Update 11: Freude's On Fire
- Update 12: Carving Meat with Freude and Dagmor
- Update 13: All Out of Bubblegum
- Update 14: Marathon
- Update 15: All-You-Can-Eat Hydra Heads
- Update 16: Patricide
- Update 17: You Feel Your Life Force Draining Away
- Update 18: Mother Lode
- Update 19: Bonebreaker
- Update 20: Everything Burns
- Update 21: The Final Dive
- Update 22: End of the Road
- Update 23: Squishy Wizards
- Update 24: Prismatic Spray
- Update 25: Make like the Nautilus
- Update 26: Taunting Bears
- Update 27: Terse Mode Enabled
- Update 28: Brain Boosters
- Update 29: Fickle Luck
- Update 30: Bibliophilia
- Update 31: Piratical Pick
- Update 32: Dragonfire
- Update 33: Wyrmslayer
- Update 34: Dig for Victory
- Update 35: Phenomenal Cosmic Power
- Update 36: Sephiroth, Eat Your Heart Out
- Update 37: Taking Names
- Update 38: Hubris
- Update 39: Mopping Up
- Update 40: Mage Duel
- Update 41: Man of Cloth
- Update 42: Living off the Land
- Update 43: Backpack of Boulders, Arms of Udon
- Update 44: Traitor Slaytor
- Update 45: Liquid Pickpocket
- Update 46: Getting Drunk
- Update 47: He Who Fights Demons
- Update 48: The Sacred Finger of St. Hippopotamus
- Update 49: Running Scared
- Update 50: Dubious Wisdom
- Update 51: Curlicues
- Update 52: Sight Beyond Sight
- Update 53: A Semblance of Stability
- Update 54: Saints on Speed, Clerics on Crack
- Update 55: Spring Cleaning
- Update 56: Tuck Bulks Up
- Update 57: Rocks Fall
- Update 58: Bodies Hit the Floor
- Update 59: Power Overwhelming
- Update 60: Crusade - Part 1
- Update 60: Crusade - Part 2
- Update 61: Victory Lap
- Bonus update 1: Options and Tilesets
- Bonus update 2: Character Creation
- Bonus update 3: Cheating Without Cheating
You might also want to check out the ToME4 LP megathread that got its start here.
There's also an active LP of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, another classic roguelike.