So, what's all this then?
This is Antumbra Saga, a mod for Shadowrun: Dragonfall: Director's Cut. It was originally released on the Steam Workshop by "cirion" in October of 2014, and it's the first in a three-mod series which I'm calling the CalFree Trilogy - all three of them are set in the California Free State, an area which has a lot of potential for stories, but which has been sadly ignored by Harebrained Studios, the team that developed the Shadowrun Returns games.
A mod, eh? Is it any good?
Very. I wouldn't be doing this otherwise. All of the trilogy's mods are great fun, and while I'm not sure I'd call them better than Dragonfall or Hong Kong, I'd say they can compete, and they definitely beat Dead Man's Switch (insert joke about that not being much of an accomplishment here).
OK, but what's it all about?
I'll just quote the mod's description here.
Antumbra Saga Workshop Page posted:
Venture into a sprawling campaign set on the Pacific Coast. In Antumbra Saga you will rise from a lowly shadowrunner to a pivotal player in the struggle between CalFree and Tir Tairngire. Along the way youll nurture alliances, build up a party, and make decisions that will affect your fate and that of the factions you encounter.
Not a lot of detail, but I guess we'll have to discover everything as we go, as is the tradition for a struggling runner to eventually stumble over things far greater than they ever envisioned stumbling over.
How will this LP be going along?
Basic screenshot fare. But here's a couple details on how I will be going about this:
- I will be playing through the mod a single time. I will not go out of my way to show off alternate paths, because that way lies madness and endless delays. If you want to try other things, you can check the mod out yourself. Some boundaries just must be set.
- I will not be giving any explanations on Shadowrun lore beyond what is given by the game itself. The reason I'm doing this is because unlike baseball, I don't know too much about Shadowrun. Furthermore, the other HBS Shadowrun LPs have shown that there's a couple loremasters in this subforum that gladly share their knowledge if questions come up, so I'll just have to rely on the audience to clear up lore questions that come up.
- Spoiler policy: No spoilers for the mod, period. Spoilers for Dragonfall past where Kanfy's LP of the game has reached and for Hong Kong are allowed under tags, but I would ask that you only post them if they're relevant to something going on here. Dead Man's Switch is fair game. I want for people to be able to follow this thread and Kanfy's thread in parallel.
- The thread will be creating the character that I will be playing, and in doing so will determine a general idea of how the character should act that I will attempt to follow. Furthermore, as the game continues and we meet new people, groups and situations, the thread will be able to act as the character's conscience - if it wants me to act in a certain way towards a particular character or group, tell me, and if enough people are on board, I'll go with it and play the character accordingly.
Now, enough waffling, on to the game.
Table of Contents
- Update I - Let's Play God
- Update II - Delivering Johnson's Package Is Hard.
- Update III - Rock 'N' Roll Runner
- Update IV - All These Years, And The San Francisco Giants Still Haven't Rebuilt.
- Update V - All Marines Are Bastards
- Update VI - Getting Into Showbiz
- Update VII - Maybe A Monster Mash, Definitely A Graveyard Smash
- Update VIII - The Mission Mission
- Update IX - We're In The Army Now
- Update X - This LP Is Going Into The Dump
- Update XI - Damn This Damn Dam
- Update XII - Rise From Your Grave
- Update XIII - Tea Cups That Are Flying, On Maps Mystifying
- Update XIV - Once More Unto The Breach