IntroductionCheck out Captain Fargle's Civ V thread here!
What's it all about?
Ah, Civilization, the long-running "4X" game series where you control a single civilization that develops out of the stone age and competes with other civs to become something that stands the test of time! This is generally done in one of four ways: by kicking everyone else's ass, by developing a culture so influential it cannot be erased, by getting everyone else to vote you world leader, or by building a rocket ship to Alpha Centauri (and eventually becoming one with a sentient alien Planet, but that's a whole other game).
There have been many Civ games, increasing in complexity as time has gone on. Civ IV, however, may have been a bit too complex. Its tech tree was a crazy maze and its religion system was just an insane mess. You'd become the leader of a religion by discovering a particular technology first before anyone else--which meant that if you were out-sciencing everyone else, you'd be the leader of half the world's religions. Plus, for fear of offending anyone, Firaxis made them all more or less interchangeable gameplay-wise, and you'd have to worry about stuff like which was your dominant state-approved religion to appease the masses, and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't even get into.
What's that got to do with this game?
Civilization V's makers decided to just do away with the religion system altogether. This got rid of that hot mess, but it also left a hole that needed to be filled. Fortunately, in the substantial expansion pack, Gods & Kings, they added religion back in and it works much more sensibly and more awesomely. It's a customizable enhancement to your civilization, giving you completely different benefits depending on what religious practices you adopt, yet it's also relatively straightforward.
The purpose of this LP is to show off religion and how much cool stuff it can do for you. There are multiple different civilizations with different gimmicks regarding religion and I'll try to show off all four of them. Ideally we'll be going for the four different victory types among them as well.
Our first leader will be Boudicca, and she will use religion as a deadly weapon. I am not even kidding.
Table of Contents
Part I: Celts vs. The World
- Update 1: The founding of an ass-kicking nation
- Update 2: New Friends, New Targets, and Speedball is a Terrible Artist
- Update 3: Sizing up the competition
- Update 4: I Explain Way Too Much About Religion
- Update 5: Polynesia/Celtic Tensions Escalate
- Update 6: Bring on the Mayan Apocalypse!
- Update 7: Mo' Money, Mo' Problems
- Update 8: I WANT YOUR TRUFFLES!
- Update 9: Shit gets real
- Update 10: A Brave New World
- Update 11: Goodbye, Gustavus!
- Update 12: Kamehameha's surfing in heaven now
- Update 13: Alfred Nobel says "Hi!"
- Update 14: Boudicca Kills Everybody!
Part II: Mayans In Space
- Update 15: Another side, Another story
- Update 16: The Countdown Club
- Update 17: Baktun the Future!
- Update 18: Plans never survive the enemy.
- Update 19: The streets will run green with Celtic blood!
- Update 20: Study Session of the Gods!
- Update 21: Time to light the fuse on this planet and get the hell off it!
Part III: Everybody Hates the Byzantines!
- Update 22: Political Campaign of the Gods!
- Update 24: Surrounded by competition and opportunities!
- Update 24: I am Truly Holier than Thou!
- Update 25: A whole lot of fighting on the other side!
- Update 26: Who do I backstab first?!
- Update 27: The World becomes a quagmire of death and despair!
- Update 28: Stop killing my friends you assholes!
- Update 29: Napoleon will be the death of us all!!!
- Update 30: The French Horde Attacks!
- Update 31: The end, my friend.
Part IV: Ethiopia the Uncrushable
- Update 33: The Spirit of Adwa!
- Update 34: Sand and Walls!
- Update 35: Can we deal with the devil!?
- Update 36: Washington, the other Lazarus!
- Update 37: DESTROY THE WORLD for Jah Love!
- Update 38: Immovable Object vs. Immovable Object
Brave New World!
- Update 41: BRAVE NEW WORLD YEAAAAH!
- Update 42: I don't know what I'm doing!!!
- Update 43: Ugh .
- Update 44: Muddle! Muddle our way to VICTORY!
- Update 45: The Pen is mightier than the Sword!