Hello everybody, this is Simon, and third time's the charm! The last two games are found here:
Let's Play Mega Man - The unexpected Abraham
Let's Play Mega Man 2 - Birth of a Legend
And we're up to...
The first game was far ahead of its competition, but overlooked. The second ironed out most if the flaws and was a groundbreaking success. The sequel was inevitable - but now, with time and money on their hands, the developers could focus on making it not only quite good, but near-perfect; they had the ideal foundations for this task.
And boy, they succeeded.
Apart from one glaring issue and a few details your mileage might vary on, Mega Man 3 is about as good a game as they get - for its time, for the NES, and forever.
This is my try of doing it justice. As is the norm now, I'll use special weapons as often and as interestingly as I can, except against the bosses to prove that the order is really up to you, and try my best to be informative about the game itself.
Title and releases:
Rockman 3: Dr.Wily no Saigo!? (ロックマン3 Dr.ワイリーの最期!?) - September 28, 1990 (Japan)
Mega Man 3 - November 1990 (US); February 20, 1992 (Europe)
Having been beaten twice, Dr. Wily now invests his talent for the good cause. Together with Dr. Light he's building a giant peace-keeping robot called Gamma.
Before work on Gamma finishes, though, his energy crystals get stolen by the newest set of eight Robot Masters; Mega Man gets sent out to retrieve them, from their dead hands/rods if necessary.
Update post with extensive information linked in the picture
Every link titled "blip" will go do baldurk's site instead because blip decided to be assholes and kicked me out. And I'm so not changing the title cards.
Stuff I missed and cheating goodness:
The April's Fool "first update" with Snake Man's stage...of MMIII for the Game Boy. Click picture for
Me trying my hand on live recording again, in Mega Man 3 Returns, the hack that Dectilon played through for the thread:
- Gemini Man:
[baldurdash][Youtube] (Sadly, I lost the source video for this one so no BD link)
- Doc Needle: [baldurdash] [Youtube]
Thanks, as always, to Bean for uploading them and having helped me way back to get this party started.
Mega Man 2's music gets lots and lots of praise for being generally quite fantastic. I agree; it's a tremendously great soundtrack, one of the best ever even, certainly for the 8-bit-era.
You know what? In my opinion, 3's is better. Apart from very few duds, those songs are of outstanding quality. What Bun Bun, their composer, did with the system's resources is nothing short of a work of art. With sometimes multiple melodies weaving into each other, those are the catchiest tunes I've ever heard...with a surprising amount of depth to them.
- Top Man
Wily Stages 1
Wily Stages 2
Wily Stages 3
Wily Stage Boss Battle
Get a Weapon
All Stage Clear
The With Lyrics series by brentalfloss:
Links of interest if you're into that sort of thing
- The Mega Man Network - A lot of stuff, basically. A bit like a Wiki, but also more - downloads, spritework and whatnot. Game Page
- Mega Man Knowledge Base - This IS a Wiki. Game Page
- Mega Man on Wikipedia - This IS Wiki.
- Oysters LP of the game - Also with a bit more content I certainly won't show off.
- Speedrun of the game - Slowest of the NES titles...because it's the longest game!
- The TAS - Sadly, MM3 isn't as easily broken as the first two. Still very fun to watch all the tricks.
- Capcom Music Generation - Rockman 1~6 - From the MMN; all music from the first 6 games for free.
- The whole music archive - Might as well.
- Official Artwork - Also from MMN. You could find all of that yourself actually.
Content by others
Last but not least, extra stuff made by followers of the thread; thank all of you for your work!
- Plays through a Romhack of the game, full of great ideas and some stupid ones:
Mega Man 3 Returns
- Shadow Man
- Needle Man
- Top Man
- Snake Man
- Magnet Man
- Spark Man
- Hard Man
- Gemini Man, also don't miss my take on it that's linked above!
- Doc Spark
- Doc Needle, he also joins me for my second bonus video of this hack, linked above!
- Doc Gemini
- Doc Shadow
- Wily 1
- Wily 2
- Wily 3
- Wily 4
- Wily 5+6
- Does a no-death run of this game, too (commentary featuring Phiggle)
Pizzatime did remixes of those great music pieces:
Pseudonym helped make my April's Fool joke a bit more consistent:
Melaneus provided me with this charming imagining of myself:
Dragonatrix took my challenge for the Challenge Thread and did Shadow Man and his stage without getting hit:
Violen took up my challenge in the challenges thread to beat the whole game with only the normal gun - except when forced to do otherwise. Don't miss it, he's insanely good!
Link to the post - more than 10000 words on Mega Man for all your outnerding pleasure!
(pictures courtesy of himself)