Click for large version: JP / US
The EU cover is basically the same as the JP version.
The back of the Suikoden Tactics box posted:
Change the fate of the world through courage, wisdom and determination
The tale I am about to tell concerns certain creatures, not of our world, that were used by mankind as runic weapons, spreading terror throughout the land. One must rise up and lead a resistance against this evil!
So, what is Suikoden Tactics?
Well, the short version is that Suikoden Tactics is many things! But the most important part is that unlike its predecessor, Suikoden Tactics is genuinely fun to play.
To go into more detail, though, Suikoden Tactics is, as the name implies, a Tactical or Strategic Role Playing Game, abbreviated TRPG or SRPG respectively. (Don't let anyone fool you - they're exactly the same thing, kind of like "beef" and "bits of dead cow".) The gameplay should feel familiar to anyone who has experience with games such as Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force, Super Robot Wars, and so on. However, it also puts its own spin on the concept, both in terms of mechanics and in giving it a distinct Suikoden flavour.
Suikoden Tactics is also, as mentioned above, a direct sequel to Suikoden IV - which, unfortunately, has probably put a lot of people off playing it. (In Japan, it wasn't even called Suikoden, but rather Rhapsodia in what I can only assume was an attempt to disassociate it from Suikoden IV - though in this case I think I can safely say it would have been more effective to not make a direct sequel to it.)
Along with the changes in gameplay, this game also differs from the others in that it is the first game in the series where you deal with the aftermath of a True Rune war instead of the war itself. Our quest takes place just as the Island Nations are picking themselves up again after the war with Kooluk, with tension still running high between them.
The game puts us in the shoes of a new character, but we'll be running into plenty of old acquaintances along the way, and some of them may even wish to accompany us on our quest...
Table of Contents
- 00 - Suikoden IV, abridged
- 01 - Long Ago in Razril (I)
- 02 - Long Ago in Razril (II)
- 03 - A Chance Encounter at Sea (I)
- 04 - A Chance Encounter at Sea (II)
- 05 - The Final Showdown with Steele (I)
- 06 - The Final Showdown with Steele (II)
- 07 - Three Years Later
- 08 - What Lies Beneath the Surface (I)
- 09 - What Lies Beneath the Surface (II)
- 10 - The Evil Eye
- 11 - The Nest of Pirates
- 12 - Obel Palace
- 13 - Sidetracked (I) - Lazlo's Island
- 14 - The Ruins of War
- 15 - Sidetracked (II) - Solo
- 16 - The Town of Merseto (I)
- 17 - The Town of Merseto (II)
- 18 - An Old Acquaintance
- 19 - Sidetracked (III) - Runes and Ruins, Reprise
- 20 - Sidetracked (IV) - Old Pals
- 21 - Sidetracked (V) - Rainbow Shell
- 22 - Ruins of Obel (I)
- 23 - Ruins of Obel (II)
- 24 - Ruins of Obel (III)
- 25 - Ruins of Obel (IV)
- 26 - Sidetracked (VI) - Insufficiently Gorgeous
- 27 - The Road to Caleron
- 28 - Sidetracked (VII) - Eat-and-Run Bandit
- 29 - Sidetracked (VIII) - Knights can't do anything right
- 30 - Sidetracked (IX) - Grinding
- 31 - The Laboratory (I)
- 32 - The Laboratory (II)
- 33 - Out to Get the Outlaws (I)
- 34 - Out to Get the Outlaws (II)
- 35 - Sidetracked (X) - Kitties!
- 36 - Sidetracked (XI) - Roseheim Crestbach III
- 37 - Sidetracked (XII) - Won't somebody think of the children?
- 38 - Sidetracked (XIII) - Xasta Grassland
- 39 - Sidetracked (XIV) - Representatives
- 40 - Hope in Haruna
- 41 - Bordering on Destruction
- 42 - Sidetracked (XV) - Stolen Moments
- 43 - Sidetracked (XVI) - Yu must be joking
- 44 - Sidetracked (XVII) - Ninjas Spell Trouble
- 45 - The Hammer Comes Down
- 46 - Sidetracked (XVIII) - Stones of Happiness
- 47 - The Imperial City of Graska
- 48 - Ruins of Obel (V)
- 49 - Suikovania II: Simeon's Quest
- 50 - A Palace Stained in Blood
- 51 - A Parting of Ways
- 52 - A Warrior's Reckoning (I)
- 53 - A Warrior's Reckoning (II)
- 54 - A World Apart
- 55 - Ruins of Obel (VI)
- 56 - Legendary Hammer
- 57 - Dragon Omelette
- 58 - A Letter of Challenge
- 59 - Ruins of Obel (VII)
- 60 - ...and all the rest.
Don't mess with Chiepoo & Co.!
: Even when I lose I still win!