Castlevania - Symphony of the Night
Released in 1997 by Konami for the PSX
Welcome everyone to Let's Play Castlevania - Symphony of the Night.
This game, released in 1997 by Konami, is a 2D side-scroller that incorporates RPG elements into the Castlevania world. The player, Alucard, gains experience and levels throughout the game from defeating enemies.
The experience system, the brainchild of Koji Igarashi, was developed because previous Castlevania games were too challenging for average players. Additionally, older Castlevania games had little replay value for the player. So, as new experience levels are reached, the five basic stats (Luck, Constitution, Intelligence, Strength, Defense) increase, as well as the hit points and magic available to the player. Additionally, Alucard can collect many items (some rare, some common) including swords, armor, and single use items. These can help with everything from defending against elemental attacks, or a quick stat boost to fight a particular enemy. For example, one setup with a particular weapon and certain accessories may not work for one boss, while a completely different setup makes a boss fight a relative breeze. Finally, there are also 'familiars' available in the game which also gain experience. Each familiar, as it grows, adds a different angle to the game - making each playthrough slightly different based on which familiar is used.
To me, though, one of the biggest features of this game is the soundtrack. Composed by Michiru Yamane - the music uses various styles from Jazz to Classical to Metal to create variety of ambiances for the player. The music is one of the best aspects of the game, and helps to create an amazing atmosphere that the player can enjoy.
My LP will be divided into either sections from one boss enemy to the next, or in 15-20 minute or so intervals - whichever is least. In rare cases, I may have two bosses in one video if they are close enough together. If each section exists in parts, they will be posted as such.
Features of this Let's Play
- I will feature the soundtrack/music as much as possible. I found a few creative ways of doing this...
- I want to get as many items as possible.
- I would also like to show off the Crissaegrim and Muramasa at least once, and probably at most once.
- I also want to show off the duplicator.
- Grinding will be edited out as much as possible or played at ludicrous speed
- This is a 'first run' let's play, so no Ring of Varda.
- Part 01 - Introduction and Death (Notes)
- Part 02 - Alchemy Laboratory (Notes)
- Part 03 - Marble Gallery (Notes)
- Part 04 - The Outer Wall (Notes)
- Part 05 - Long Library (Notes)
- Part 06 - Royal Chapel (Notes)
- Part 07 - The Colosseum (Notes)
- Part 08 - Finishing the Colosseum (Notes)
- Part 09 - Long Library Revisited (Notes)
- Part 10 - Olrox's Quarters (Notes)
- Part 11 - We're at the end already? (Notes)
- Part 12 - Alucard, Secret Hunter (Notes)
- Part 13 - Heading to the Basement (Notes)
- Part 14 - Underground Caverns (Notes)
- Part 15 - Abandoned Mine (Notes)
- Part 16 - Catacombs (Notes)
- Part 17 - Rings of Power (Notes)
- Part 18 - The Clock Tower (Notes)
- Part 19 - Bonus Video 1 (Notes)
- Part 20 - Richter Belmont (Notes)
- Part 21 - Reverse Clock Tower (Notes)
- Part 22 - The Forbidden Library (Notes)
- Part 23 - The Reverse Outer Wall (Notes)
- Part 24 - Black Marble Gallery (Notes)
- Part 25 - Reverse Entrance (Notes)
- Part 26 - Reverse Caverns (Notes)
- Part 27 - Duplicator and Items Spectactular (Notes)
- Part 28 - Reverse Caverns part 2 (Notes)
- Part 29 - Necromancy Laboratory (Notes)
- Part 30 - Reverse Colosseum (Notes)
- Part 31 - Anti-Chapel (Notes)
- Part 32 - Time to Face Dracula? (Notes)
- Part 33 - Galamoth and Finale (Notes)
Soundtrack Videos (with sheet music):
- Dance of Gold (Alchemy Lab)
- Marble Gallery
- Wood Carving Partita
- Requiem for the Gods
- Dance of Pales
- Lost Paintings/Lost Portraits
Boss Tactics Videos:
- Richter Belmont vs. Dracula
- Gaibon and Slogra
- Minotaur and Werewolf
- Scylla Wyrm and Scylla
- Richter Belmont
- Darkwing Bat
- The Creature
- Akmodan II
- Fake Trevor, Grant, Sypha