IntroductionAs promised, something completely different..
This time we're going to be tackling a game that was never released in the US and that is only accessible via a fan patch.
Seiken Densetsu 3, or Legend of the Holy Sword 3 was released in 1995 in Japan and nowhere else. As a result, the cover image is.. untranslated but very pretty.
Where does this fit in the Mana Series?
The order of release is Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1), Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2), and finally Seiken Densetsu 3. Seiken Densetsu 3, however, actually takes place in the distant past of Secret of Mana.
What is this game like?
Seiken Densetsu 3 is very similar to Secret of Mana, with 3 characters in your party, a ring system, a cannon system, a ring menu, and a few other odds and ends that will look familiar. On the other hand, there are some significant differences..first off, we're going to be able to pick all three of our characters out of a selection of six. That's where I'm going to need some thread participation.
Yep. I'm planning on making this as participatory as possible. First, I'm going to need some votes as to which characters we should include in our initial and secondary parties. There are actually 3 sets of bosses and storyline areas depending on which character we select first, and each character has 2 branching classes to choose. That is to say.. at level 18 you can choose either a light or dark path, and at level 38 you can again choose a light and dark path for 4 final class options for each character. I'll be requesting input from the thread readers at each point. At any rate, I'm intent on covering EVERYTHING this game has to offer.
Angela, princess of the Magic Kingdom of Altena, is a mage type who is hands down the best attack magician in the game. She uses staves in battle, and she has the advantage of being able to hit just about any weakness you can imagine. She's 19 years old, and has a bit of pathos in her past.
Class Options: Level 18: Sorceress (Light), Delvar (Dark)
Level 38: Grand Devina (Light+Light), Archmage (Light+Dark), Magus (Dark+Dark), Rune Master (Dark+Light).
Carlie is a half-elf with the absolute worst physical attack in the game and great healing spells to make up for it. She uses a ball and chain, and is an absolutely great supporting cast member. She's also tied form the youngest character at 15 years old (with Kevin), and it shows sometimes. She can also learn some summons with a few of her classes.
Class Options: Level 18: Priestess (Light), Enchantress (Dark)
Level 38: Bishop (Light+Light), Sage (Light+Dark), Evil Shaman (Dark+Dark), Necromancer (Dark+Light).
Duran is your typical hero type, an almost pure fighter who is centralized around swordsmanship and dealing direct damage to enemies. He's got some healing spells and can infuse his and his party's weapons with elemental affinities. You might say that he's closest to the main character in FFA and Secret of Mana.
Class Options Level 18: Knight (Light), Gladiator (Dark)
Level 38: Paladin (Light+Light), Lord (Light+Dark), Duelist (Dark+Dark), Sword Master (Dark+Light).
I'll make no bones about this: Hawk is a Thief. He specializes in daggers and has special techniques rather than spells. He starts out in the desert, giving him a semi-Aladdin type vibe that might stick around the entire game.
Class Options Level 18: Ranger (Light), Ninja (Dark)
Level 38: Wanderer (Light+Light), Rogue (Light+Dark), Nightblade (Dark+Dark), Ninja Master (Dark+Light).
Kevin is a prince of the Beast Kingdom, and my wife took one look at the image and asked if he was a black version of Goku. At any rate, Kevin is a hand to hand fighter with a few healing spells and a multitude of powerful physical skills. Kevin's got another secret that we'll get into when we play with him, but the important thing is that he and Duran fit into the same basic group of fighters with healing.
Class Options Level 18: Monk (Light), Bashkar (Dark)
Level 38: God Hand (Light+Light), Warrior Monk (Light+Dark), Dervish (Dark+Dark), Death Hand (Dark+:Light).
Dragoon, you say? Amazon, you say? That's pretty much Lise in a nutshell. She's quite literally an Amazon and is the female physical fighter. Lise specializes in spears and has some buffs in the form of ability enhancers that give her some additional utility beyond just stabbing the bejeezus out of anything in her way.
Class Options Level 18: Valkyrie (Light), Rune Maiden (Dark)
Level 38: Vanadies (Light+Light), Star Lancer (Light+Dark), Fenrir Knight (Dark+Dark), Dragon Master (Dark+Light).
Before I can even get started, I need some input. The way this works is that there are three main pathways in the game dependent on which characters are selected first. The pairings are as follows:
We're going to be going with Lise/Hawk/Carlie first, Kevin/Carlie/Angela second, and Duran/Angela/Kevin third.
Table of Contents
- Lise and Hawk's Tale
- Update 1: An Empire Unacquainted with Defeat
- Update 2: Natural Selection in Action
- Update 3: She's Just Bad Luck
- Update 4: The Dashing Phantom Thief Hawk
- Update 5: Third Person Singular
- Update 6: Full Metal WHAT?
- Update 7: A Case of Mistaken Identity
- Update 8: Watt's Going On
- Update 9: Inconceivable!
- Update 10: Stop and Smell the Flowers
- Update 11: Sage Joch's Spiritual Ancestor
- Update 12: Making Up For Lost Time
- Update 13: My Kingdom For a Ranged Attack
- Update 14: What IS That!?
- Class Changes: Part 1
- Update 15: Class Change!
- Update 16: To the Face
- Update 17: Clowns Make Everything Better
- Update 18: Elves. I Hate Those Guys.
- Update 19: Blessed Silence
- Update 20: A Mood to Kill
- Update 21: Just a Cute Little Rabbit
- Update 22: Fire and Ice
- Update 23: No Need for Heaven and Earth
- Update 24: Lise and the Lost Cities
- Class Changes: Part 2
- Update 25: Tricked, Again
- Update 26: Headless Angels
- Update 27: A Cat? Just Go With It
- Update 28: That All Things Might Be Well
- The Story of Kevin and Carlie
- Update 29: Another Story
- Update 30: No Help From Wendel
- Update 31: Team Parental Issues
- Update 32: I Reject Your Name
- Update 33: Don't Leave Us Lise!
- Update 34: Hey! This is My Story!
- Update 35: To the Face! Again!
- Class Changes: The First Second Round
- Update 36: Multiple Werewolf Beat-Downs
- Update 37: Family Matters
- Update 38: Smoke and Mirrors
- Update 39: An Avalanche of Bosses
- Class Changes: The Second Second Round
- Update 40: Boss Suplex!
- Update 41: Illusory Palaces
- Update 42: A Dark and Hungry God Fails to Arise
- Duran and Angela's Tale
- Update 43: Rock & Roll
- Update 44: No Escaping Carlie
- Update 45: Freddy All Along
- Update 46: You Can't Go Home
- Update 47: Somebody's Watching You
- Class Changes: The Semi-Final Round
- Update 48: Can I Defeat Him Now?
- Update 49: Wait.. a Wolf?
- Update 50: We've Met Twice
- Update 51: The Future Refused to Change
- Class Changes: For the Last Time
- Update 52: Wssht Search Your Feelings
- Update 53: Quicker, Easier, More Seductive
- Update 54: The Emperor Strikes Back
- Trasson's Infodump on SD3 Stats: Great Info
- Last Transmission Explains Items and Item Storage
- Bonus Update: Escape Methods and Alternate Classes
- Bonus Update 2: Alternate Classes 2, and The Black Rabite