MechCommander Gold was released in 1999 by Microsoft and FASA the same creative team that created Crimson Skies, and is part of the ever-growing BattleTech universe. MechCommander Gold (abbreviated MCX) was the first attempt to bring the system into the realm of Real Time Strategy games. However, it terms of RTS', it comes far closer to the likes of Myth than of C&C. There are no bases, just objectives, and you do all your prepwork before the mission.
Hey, it's almost like real life!
Except real life doesn't have 25-100t war machines stomping around and shooting each other.
What is the story behind MechCommander?
The initial campaign is set starting 20 May 3059, and chronicles the Battle of Port Arthur, one of the initial targets of Operation Bird Dog, which is in of itself part of the larger Operation Bulldog and the Great Refusal. The united forces of the Inner Sphere, the Star League, led by Prince Victor Davion, launch a two-pronged attack on the invading Clan Smoke Jaguar to drive them out of the Draconis Combine and to make an example of them so that the rest of the Clans will think long and hard before trying to invade again.
*sigh* The Clans are Nazi Mongols. The Inner Sphere are the Allies. Welcome to Juno Beach. I'll take up deadspace in the videos with history lessons explaining how we got here.
So, who are we, exactly?
Zulu Company, 1st Davion Guards. Our initial detachment of Mechs are light scouts, nothing heavier (But that will change, oh yes it will...). I am taking the place of a behind the lines Commander, using state of the art technology to direct the battle without actually being in the battle. It's a little rough around the edges, but I'm sure my MechWarriors are up to the task.
An RTS with BattleMechs. Is it any good?
Well, I think so! Otherwise I wouldn't LP it! It's very solid, with good variety in terms of objectives (for the most part), opposition and customization. Don't worry fellow goons - I will solicit Mech Designs later on. For now though, I will be playing on Easy, as the harder difficulties are just false the enemies just get better than my guys a whole lot faster. No actuall difference in the enemy Mechs or loadouts.
Due to the age of the game, I will allow unlimited spoiler discussion as long as it stays behind the spoiler tags.
That's enough talk, now for the LP!
Table of ContentsOperation 1: Beachhead
- Mission 1: Introduction
- Mission 2: Rescue MechWarrior Pilots
- Mission 3: Recover the Raven
- Mission 4: Walking into the Worst of it (Bonus Video)
- Mission 5: Defending the Farms
- Mission 6: Taking Kaio Industrial Zone
- Mission 1: Flying Falcon (Two Bonus Videos)
- Mission 2: Blackout Blowup (Bonus Video)
- Mission 3: Savaging the Salvage
- Mission 4: Highway to the HPG (Audio Commentary w/Paingod556)
- Mission 5: Possession is the (Clan) Law
- Mission 6: Stabbing the Scorpion
- Mission 1: Accelerating Ambulances (Audio Commentary w/Paingod556)
- Mission 2: Awesome Ambush, dude! (Audio Commentary w/Source Element)
- Mission 3: Convoy Crushers (Audio Commentary w/Calax)
- Mission 4: Rage against the Re-Education
- Mission 4a: Rage against the Re-Education - Failure Run (Lousy Audio Commentary)
- Mission 5: Affront to Affendale
- Mission 6: Affendale Assault
- Mission 1: Mercenary Maxims
- Mission 2: Convoy Collection
- Mission 3: Stealing from the Smoke
- Mission 4: The Problems with Piecemeal
- Mission 5: Plugging the Gap
- Mission 6: These are the Guns you're looking for
- Mission 1: Why am I here again?
- Mission 2: Finishing what other people started
- Mission 3: Don't blow up the Oilfield!
- Mission 4: Ridge Racer
- Mission 5: All Atlas All-stars Attacking!
- Mission 6: Taking the Starport
- Mission 1: Welcome to Detroit!
- Mission 2: Fixed Defences
- Mission 3: Smashing Smoke
- Mission 4: This ain't your Father's Ogre
- Mission 5: Run like Hell(bringer)
- Mission 6: Saving MY Salvage
- Mission 7: Didn't I already do this one?
- Mission 8: Capturing Certifiably Cunning Clan Captains
- Mission 9: Well Shit, another HPG?
- Mission 10: What Stealth?
- Mission 11: First Strike
- Mission 12: Desperate Measures
- BattleMech Update 01 - Commando
- BattleMech Update 02 - Firestarter
- BattleMech Update 03 - Raven
- BattleMech Update 04 - Kit Fox / Uller
- BattleMech Update 05 - Cougar
- BattleMech Update 06 - Hollander II
- BattleMech Update 06A - Operation 1, Mission 6: Custom Mechs
- BattleMech Update 07 - Hunchback
- BattleMech Update 08 - Hunchback IIC
- BattleMech Update 09 - Centurion
- BattleMech Update 10 - Mad Dog / Vulture
- BattleMech Update 11 - Catapult
- BattleMech Update 12 - Hellbringer
- BattleMech Update 13 - JagerMech
- BattleMech Update 14 - Summoner
- BattleMech Update 15 - Timber Wolf
- BattleMech Update 16 - Awesome
- BattleMech Update 17 - Masakari
- BattleMech Update 18 - Atlas
- BattleMech Update 19 - Stiletto
- BattleMech Update 20 - Bushwhacker
- BattleMech Update 21 - Mauler
- BattleMech Update 22 - Shadow Cat
- BattleMech Update 23 - Nova Cat
- BattleMech Update 24 - Turkina
Everyone give thanks to Paingod556 for providing images for the Mechs in the above TROs.
Lynx's transcription of this interview with Denny Thorley about MechCommander.