"Love me! I want you to love me!" - Cavia employees before driving a knife into your back.
Hey wait, I thought NIER was the sequel to Drakengard...?
It was...a very indirect sequel to a really weird ending involving rhythm games in modern day Tokyo and other silliness. Taro Yoko was the director for both the original Drakengard and NIER. Drakengard 2, however, the lunatic had nothing to do with and it shows by being...well, significantly less grim dark and far more stupid. And not nearly as memorable as either of its siblings in the crazy department. But fear not, there's still a lot to mock with this stinker of a sequel.
Drakengard 2 is the 2006 direct sequel to the original Drakengard. As such, it's best to brush up on your knowledge of that game as quite a few characters and events from it will crop up. Drakengard 2 is a continuation of the rather standard and least "WHAT THE FUCK" Ending A of the original game, in which the Empire was defeated following a battle with a 50 story tall six year old girl and the Red Dragon Angelus became the new Goddess Seal to save the world.
Notice: So I never really planned on LPing Drakengard 2 and thus had an entire update after Ending A of the first game's LP spoiling a ton of shit. If you're going back to read the archives/old thread or something, you might wanna skip that update.
So how does it play?
Exactly like a slightly more refined version of Drakengard. It's made the jump gameplay wise from "godawful tedious grind" to "meh...alright I guess". It's still not a "good" game by any stretch of the imagination. But it's not well...Drakengard awful to play either. But, we're not really here for the gameplay, are we?
Are you going to 100% the game?
In so far as collecting all the weapons (and showing off their wonderful stories) and getting all three endings? Unfortunately so...
What are the rules on spoilers in this thread?
Use spoiler tags for spoilers. Spoilers are defined by shit the LP has not gotten to yet, so don't be cute. But it would be great if you don't be a dick and start yammering on about the end game on Page 2 of the thread or the like. Thanks. Drakengard 1 spoilers are cool. But uhh...don't bring up the big spoiler filled "I assume I am never going to LP Drakengard 2 because fuck this series" update. Previous LPs spoiling future LPs! Madness!
Does Drakengard 2 live up to its predecessor's factor?
Not in the least. It would seem Taro Yoko was the key element in batshit insanity or soul crushing depressing fun over at Cavia. As such, Drakengard 2 has its weird and somewhat batshit moments here and there. But, don't expect naked space mimes to rain out of the sky or trips to modern day Detroit or the like for a dance off with the final boss. Do expect JRPG characters making tons of horrible decisions constantly like pants on head retards. If you liked Chrono Cross' brand of stupid, you'll probably like this.
With that said, let's begin...
Table of Contents
- Episode I: In Which the Sequel Begins...
- Episode II: In Which We Meet General Dickbag
- Episode III: In Which We Discover Why All the Knights Hate Nowe
- Side Episode: In Which We Talk Some Game Mechanics
- Episode IV: In Which We Meet a Silly Bunch of People
- Episode V: In Which We Wonder What Happened to the Draw Distance
- Side Episode: Drakengard Recap #1
- Episode VI: In Which There are "Puzzles"
- Episode VII: In Which We Squash the Rebel Scum
- Episode VIII: In Which There is an Execution
- Episode IX: In Which This Level Never. Friggin'. ENDS!
- Episode X: In Which General Gismor Provides Refreshments
- Episode XI: In Which Nowe Burns ALL of His Bridges
- Episode XII: In Which Nowe Strips in Front of a Strange Man
- Episode XIII: In Which We Go Home
- Episode XIV: In Which There is a REALLY Convenient Coincidence
- Episode XV: In Which Nowe Shockingly Switches Sides
- Episode XVI: In Which We Fail to Understand How a Dam Works
- Episode XVII: In Which We Fight a Leviathan With a Horse For a Face
- Episode XVIII: In Which I Suffer
- Side Episode: Chapter 5 Intermission
- Episode XIX: In Which We Explore a Two Block City
- Episode XX: In Which We Don't Fear the Reaper
- Episode XXI: In Which Not Much Happens Besides a Whole Lotta Killin'
- Episode XXII: In Which There is a Bullshit Boss Battle
- Episode XXII-2: In Which This Mission Doesn't Even Deserve a Full Update
- Episode XXIII: In Which We Discover Why Nowe is Such a Dolt
- Episode XXIV: In Which Someone Actually Opens a History Book
- Side Episode: Angelegna High School
- Episode XXV: In Which Urick Has Some Huge Balls
- Episode XXVI: In Which There is Much Chasing After a Damsel in Distress
- Episode XXVII: In Which We Battle General Dickbag
- Episode XXVIII: In Which We Reach the End
- Episode XXIX: In Which I Could Have Sworn the Game Ended Last Update...
- Episode XXX: In Which a Party Member Dies
- Episode XXXI: In Which Another Character Dies
- Episode XXXII: In Which There is a Warm Family Reunion
- Episode XXXIII: In Which We Done Fucked Up...
- Episode XXXIV: In Which Manah Finally Realizes This Has All Been a Terrible Idea
- Episode XXXV: In Which We Fly Through Rings
- Episode XXXVI: In Which We Revisit Barely Noteworthy Locales
- Episode XXXVII: In Which the Protagonists Die
- Episode XXXVIII: In Which Chicken Little Was On to Something...
- Episode XXXIX: In Which An Entire Chapter is Filler
- Episode XL: In Which We Get a Lengthy History Lesson
- Episode XLI: In Which Nowe is Terrible at Identifying the Deceased
- Episode XLII: In Which I'd Rather Be Playing Psychonauts
- Episode XLIII: In Which Legna is Over This Shit
- Episode XLIV: In Which Nowe Gets to First Base
- Episode XLV: Ending A - In Which We Ultimately Accomplished Fuck All
- Side Episode: A Look at New Game Plus
- Episode XLVI: In Which There is Redundant Backstory
- Episode XLVII: In Which Seere Just Wants Everyone to Fuck Off
- Episode XLVIII: In Which Eris Gives Us WAY Too Much Info...
- Episode XLIX: In Which We Go Stock the Armory
- Episode L: In Which We Tour the City of Rust
- Episode LI: In Which Legna Makes a Better Sales Pitch
- Episode LII: In Which We Learn How NOT to Design a Boss Battle
- Episode LIII: Ending B - In Which War Never Changes
- Side Episode: A Look at New Game Plus ~ EXTREME
- Side Episode: Level 99 Stats
- Side Episode: Angel's Memory
- Episode LIV: In Which We Hear the Last of the Weapon Stories
- Episode LV (Part 1): In Which...
- Episode LV (Part 2): ...Drakengard 2 Ends